UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Adders In Scotland - Gorebridge Area

Muriel

Crossposted from another forum..

"There have been several incidents recently of dogs being bitten by adders in the Gorebridge area, just south of Edinburgh.

2 Yorkshire terriers died after being bitten, and a third, bigger, dog survived – luckily its owner recognised the symptons in time to get it to the vet.

What a terrible shock for the owners – these snakes are not normally found in the field where the incident happened. "

We get adders round here, and it's something I'm very aware of at this time of year. All the vets round here hold anti-venom, but if it's an area where adders aren't usually found they may not. It would be worth anyone in this area checking with their vet whether they keep supplies of serum and if not where is the nearest place to take your dog if he's bitten.

When I was very young a little girl from our village died from an adder bite. She was taken to two large local hospitals, neither of which had the anti-venom and had to send her on to a third by which time it was too late. My dad, as a vet, had anti-venom in his car for treating dog bites just a mile up the road, and was devastated to know he could have saved her if he'd known what was happening (sorry - off topic, but it was something that made a strong impression at the time!).

How very sad Fee, I can imagine how your dad felt.

We don't have adders here normally, that's why I posted it, I got a shock when I heard. Meant to check the Homeopathic remedy, but I think Lachesis would help on way to vet.