UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Regress Instead Of Progress

akitas

It looks like as if Jake is rather regressing at the moment. We had a short period of progress, but now it seems, as if he doesn't know what to do.

He started the habit of barking his head of while in the ring (training or show) and just looking at me and not focusing on what he is suppose to do.

I started putting him in a down whenever he is barking, but at the moment I am a bit demoralised :(

To make it more difficult I am quite often losing the plot while doing the course, cannot remember where to go and just stand around looking stupid (I am very good at that ;) )

Does anybody have an idea what else I can do about Jake's barking?

He seem to have started out of frustration, but it became a habit now.

And does anybody has a spare brain for me, so I actually know what I am doing (if ever)

Thanks....

Ursula

The brain thing I probably can't help with as I have the same problem sometimes other than making sure you really know the course before you go in and don't watch how other people are running it as this is fatal :biggrin:

Barking - don't shout back as this will probably just get him shouting even louder than you. I know it's a pain to throw a round at a show especially if you only have one dog to run but I would be tempted when he starts to bark just run for the finish as fast as you can so you are not carrying on with the 'game'. Wendy gave me this advice with Dudley when he starts. You can do it in training to so he learns that if he barks he doesn't get to play.

Hi,

I have had experience of training a couple of dogs and handlers with this issue.

Is there a common theme to when he barks? Is it for example after you have 'gone wrong' on the course? I don't know if this applies to you but dogs who are 'faster' than their handlers often get frustrated when body language, commands and directions are not given as fast or clearly as they would like or need. As he is getting more experienced he has possibly gone up a gear in his mind and perhaps feels that you are not directing him enough - or too much!

When he barks at you, stop and stand still, and look at what your body language is doing. If you want him to do a jump on the left, is your body language facing that way? If you want him to go on ahead into a tunnel and he barks, have you commanded the tunnel verbally, and are you facing where you want him to go?

If this sounds familiar have a look at this video of my friend whose dog is very very very body driven (and a little bit frustrating too!) and see what you think.

I should add that I don't have problem with dogs that bark during a run as long as they are listening to the handler. The dog in the video loves to just bark as she runs, but she has a very definite different bark when she is frustrated with the handler - she comes and barks at her, rather than just barks while running.

Thanks for your help.

I think he started barking because he was frustrated, now he barks because he likes it.

When he barks his brain stops working and he just looks at me...

So when I put him in a down he stops and we start all over again. Sometimes he barks less after I put him in a down, saying that, I am not always consitent with it :(

Leah told me to us the down as a time out, so he doesn't get the fun he is expecting.

I am sure very often he is just frustrated because I am not as fast as he is. Saying that, he still doesn't like to work away from me as much as I wish, if that makes sense :)

Down and leaving the ring, same sort of timeout thing so they don't get self rewarded. I'm sure if you're consistant with it it'll work.

I agree that I don't mind them barking when they run it's the barking at the handler which needs to be stopped.

Just back from training and I have to admit Leah and Wendy have a fabulous way of positive teaching.

They said I should distinguish if he barks out of excitement or just because he wants to. The whole atmosphere there is so positive and great that Jake and I did really well.

So maybe it is just down to me, miserable handerl = miserable/ frustrated dog :(

Don't worry and don't be so hard on yourself.

My girl used to bite me out of frustration in the early days of her training. With her it was definately frustration and I also got lost/disorientated on courses.

Don't give up, one day it just sort of clicks and you'll both enjoy it.