UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Travel Sickness In Dogs

akitas

I walk a friends dog at the moment. He is not a problem as he slots nicely in with my dogs, the downside is, he is rarely in a car.

I mainly drive my dogs to their walks, so I pick him up and the moment the car moves he starts drooling.

It is excessive. The boot, where the dogs travel is soaking wet and so are my dogs.

When he ate before he usually throws up in the car.

He is about 10 month old and he is not a very good eater, he is very skinny.

Here are my questions, will it be likely he gets used to it?

And is there anything out there to make it easier for him/me/my dogs when he travels with us.

Thanks for your help

Ursula

one of my dogs used to be quite travel sick. Strangely it was always on the way out on a journey never the way home...

We did lots of little drives around, but found ginger biscuits to work quite well about 45 minutes before the journey and not letting her eat anything sizeable at least three hours before travelling

Thats for the dog, not you :biggrin:

She is alot better now and will only tend to be sick when we are driving round country lanes on holiday (we don't get much country lanes in the midlands!!)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, sorry I didn't come back to you earlier.

With lots of short trips to lovely walks, he is ok now on short trips. Not sure about longer ones though.

Might bring him to the Wiccs show, then we will see ;-)

• 1 month later...

This may not be of much help, but in my fostering experience, I found that a lot of dogs under a year get travel sick, but they usually grow out of it by the time they reach maturity.

In other words, you may only have to put up with this for a few months :biggrin:

Also, the more he associates being driven with nice things (walks) the more he might relax and not be so inclined to feel sick.

Another thing you could try, is to crate him with a cover over the crate, if he can't see out he may feel better about the experience and also less likely to feel queasy from the movement not relating to what he is seeing - a big cause of nausea.