UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"bully Whippets"

cycas

Tracey whippet is holidaying with us at the moment - she's certainly well built. She reminds me of the E German Shot Putters of the 80s. She's nowhere near as bulky as the bully whippet pictures, and I suspect that in a few months she'll be a bit more usual whippet shape - as she's no longer being primed for racing.

Ugh...

There is a similar thing though its an inherited disease, HyPP, found in American Quarter Horses and spreading fast....

People are breeding these horses specifically, unlikely with the whippets where they are a by product of breeding for speed (which in the UK is going to be extremely small scale considering the status of whippet racing here thank god), in QH there are people proudly breeding FOR HyPP, because it gives that grotesque musclature...

This is a HyPP positive stallion, Kid Classic Style buckyfrm1ds.jpg

In comparison this is a normal QH.... http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/RoyaleKingLeoBars.jpg

I do hope the bully whippets dont have the same issues the HyPP quarter horses do, because HyPP is a disease, it has some fairly nasty consequences, which can involve a horse suddenly becoming paralysed and then suffering violent muscle spasms.

Things people do to animals..... Kid Classic Styles owners PROUDLY advertise him as guaranteeing you a HyPP positive foal should you breed your mare to him!

:vomit:

Ugh...

There is a similar thing though its an inherited disease, HyPP, found in American Quarter Horses and spreading fast....

People are breeding these horses specifically, unlikely with the whippets where they are a by product of breeding for speed (which in the UK is going to be extremely small scale considering the status of whippet racing here thank god), in QH there are people proudly breeding FOR HyPP, because it gives that grotesque musclature...

This is a HyPP positive stallion, Kid Classic Style buckyfrm1ds.jpg

In comparison this is a normal QH.... http://www.bringinglighttohypp.org/RoyaleKingLeoBars.jpg

I do hope the bully whippets dont have the same issues the HyPP quarter horses do, because HyPP is a disease, it has some fairly nasty consequences, which can involve a horse suddenly becoming paralysed and then suffering violent muscle spasms.

Things people do to animals..... Kid Classic Styles owners PROUDLY advertise him as guaranteeing you a HyPP positive foal should you breed your mare to him!

:vomit:

That is truly horrible, how can anyone think that horse looks good :angry: , i assume this is the same gene that is bred for in some breeds of cattle :( Charolais i think has it

Tracey is far less bulky than she used to be. We had a greyhound trainer visit here last week (boo hiss) and he met her. He was convinced she was full of steroids. She certainly seems a bit less strange to look at, now.

I dont know horses - but would the stallion be supoprted during mating? Would think he could cause some serious damage to a smaller mare?

We've fostered bull x whippets that have been allowed to get a little over weight. I cant believe people would actually be looking for this kind of mutation :ohno02:

Tis probably done by AI i would think, as live covering is quite risky even in normal horses (although it is commonly done over here i think its more common to use AI in hte US).

I wonder what actually causes the massive muscle growth in the whippets. In horses the HyPP causes rapid muscle twitches which is what builds up huge amounts of muscle without the horse really working (whic is why some traniers like them, all you need do is fill them full of high octane fuel and shut them in a stable 23 hours a day, and the disease does the rest).

I cant see how a mutant gene would make the large muscles, just cause the dog to be ABLE to build up more muscle, so i wonder if it does have a similar method of working, where the muscles spasm a lot and can cause paralysis?