UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Quality Versus Quantity.

Lizzie

DSC01474.jpg

My gorgous, brave boy Danny is approaching the latter part of his life.

Earlier this year he was so ill, the vet didn't know what was wrong and wanted to operate. We decided against this unless the vet could tell us what was wrong.

Just three weeks short of his 12th birthday, Danny is losing the use of his legs, very similar to wobblers syndrome.

He doesn't appear to be in pain, but it is extremely painful to watch the deterioration in just a couple of days. In Danny's mind he can still run, but his body won't let him, in his view to be unable to go for a walk is the cruellest thing we can do to him.

Please spare a thought for him, I don't think he will be with us for much longer, although saying that the vet only gave him a couple of weeks before, he's a fighter in the best sense. Pray that he can fight this.

I just want to have a good cry, and cuddle the old hooligan.

Corinne,

first of all :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

my heart breaks for you all....I have been where you are with both my first Lab & my first GS, I have tried to keep the pain in a positive spin as far as the kids go. This probably won't come out right, so please do not be offended if this is not a view that you could accept, I think it helped my two children.

I know the thought of ever being without Danny is hurting you really deeply right now, but we asked our kids to try to think of this time that is left, as time for you to say your goodbyes properly. We all hate the thought of this time arriving, but we know in our hearts that it's inevitable. However, sometimes it is worse if your canine half is taken from you suddenly, as you grieve over all the things that you feel you would have liked to have said, but with this I tried to help them feel that they had made doubley sure that our pet knew exactly how much he/she was loved and how sorely they would be missed.

I hope this can help.

regards,

Dee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

The steroids will take a couple of days to kick in, but Danny seemed a little better today. :)

He has been out for a walk, but after 20 minutes his legs gave way and we had to stop for 10 minutes so he could rest. It was awful, my big strong lad reduced to bunny hopping along and then falling down. :mecry:

Trouble is, he will not give in and walk gently, he strains on the lead and when you let him go, he's away! If there's a good open space Danny just loves to run, he has always hated just walking.

Going to rest him for a couple of days again, then see if the steroids have made any difference.

My old boy was given three months to live two years ago, we made the decision that quality was better than quantity for Barney and just let him get on with life as best he could. He's still here - a bit frail but spirit shining through - I'd not change my mind if he'd have gone after a day or he's still with us. Let Danny live as he wants to.........he may surprise you and if not at least you've let him go on his terms. :flowers: to Danny, he sounds like a wonderful boy.