UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Many Police Does It Take

ailsas mum

I know its a big over reaction to send that many police but they did have to get the pup back to Quarantine. The only reason that we don't have rabies in this country is because we are strict about animals coming in from abroad being correctly quarantined or vaccinated and checked with a pet passport. We can't relax the rules for anyone no matter how upset the puppy was or all our dogs would be at risk from a terrible disease. x

Edited by ranirottie

I know its a big over reaction to send that many police but they did have to get the pup back to Quarantine. The only reason that we don't have rabies in this country is because we are strict about animals coming in from abroad being correctly quarantined or vaccinated and checked with a pet passport. We can't relax the rules for anyone no matter how upset the puppy was or all our dogs would be at risk from a terrible disease. x

Funnily enough Northwestern European countries at least are not rampant with rabies - the one or two cases in Holland I've ever known of in all my 30+ years made national headlines! And to my knowledge - or memory for that matter :rolleyes: - dogs are not routinely being vaccinated against rabies, probably because it's so extremely rare.

And the UK would have a case if it didn't let animal circuses (like one Italian circus in particular with 200+ animals!) and animals destined for laboratories pass without passports and proof of rabies vaccines.

I've even heard of race horses and dogs being brought into the country without the same papers as companion animals, but I would have to look into this to really be sure.

It's a shame that the owner of the pup wasn't better informed: dogs can 'sit out' their quarantine in their country of origin, provided it's an EC country. Malcolm came from Greece, where he'd spent the last 3 years of his life in a shelter. Oh, without looking at his papers, my vet assumed that I'd smuggled him in as well (doG knows how, he don't exactly fit in a handbag! :rolleyes: ) and called Trading Standards. They in turn also asked for police back up, and the lot (long story cut short) ended up on my doorstep. Police in bullet proof vest n all - for a terrified dog and his 5 ft 5 owner! :biggrin: Obviously I was able to convince them that I'd been a good girl and he'd gone through all the proper channels, but boy what a scare!