UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed On Dogs Pregnancy And Hand Rearing

Looking for some advice please

Del my sri lankan based volunteer texted me today to update me on the Temple dogs, last weekend 14 dogs were sterilised at the Temple but one of the dogs ( Mango ) is pregnant :mecry:

I have not been able to speak with our Vet as he has been out all day treating a sick elephant and I don't know how far gone Mango is , we provide the temple with food each week so we know she is getting fed regularly but Del would like advice on what else she can do for her to help build her up before she gives birth.

neither Del or I have any experience of pregnant dogs , the other problem is the vet does have some time off booked in early July and Del wants to be prepared in case Mango needs help when he is not around ( we will have vet cover from the University but they are an hour away )

Del also said that we have 3 new young puppies in , 2 are being cared for by the monks and she has the smallest one with her as he has a facial injury that the vet has treated but he needs supervision and regular medication

She would also like advice on hand rearing in case Mango needs help , I am looking at powered puppy milk to send her but have no idea if there are any brands that I should look for ( will be speaking with our UK Vet tomorrow )

if anyone has any good links for Del I can pass them on ( or print out and post as the internet is a tad slow there )

Thanks in advance

Sam

I don't know much but I have learnt quite a bit about hand rearing from my vet who is also a friend. I know that it's very important for puppies to obtain colostrum in the first 2 weeks, as this contains high levels of antibodies to help protect them against disease. This is now available in powdered form but can be quite expensive.

Colostrum is only needed straight after birth. They can't absorb or use it after a certain time. Googled this;

The first 36 hrs of a puppies life is the critical period nutritionally. Healthy puppies will nurse right away and then every few hours. The pups must nurse from their mother within 12 hours of birth to receive her antibodies against disease. After 12 hours, their stomachs will not absorb antibodies. After this first 12 hours, if the mother does not have enough milk, or if her litter is too large, then the pups' diet can be supplemented with commercial puppy milk replacer. Cow's milk is nutritionally inadequate for puppies.

And it was off this site which looked quite good;

http://lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/bottlefeeding.htm

About three to two weeks before the pups are born mum should be given more food, puppy food is great but i don't know how practical that would be in this case :unsure: also mum should be wormed but you probably know that already. There is a product called Whelpi (i think) which is a milk substitute, i think in the absence of puppy food for mum she can be given the Whelpi to boost her nutrition and it's good for her afterwards whilst she is feeding the pups, and i think it will guard against eclampsia