UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Mp Has Bought A Racing Greyhound

Yantan

I am incandescent with rage :mad:

The full story hasn't yet appeared on the local paper's website but here is a link with an outline Times & Star - you will need to scroll down a little.

This is the article in full as featured in this paper today:

Tony's girl takes to the racetrack

Workington MP Tony Cunningham has bought a racing greyhound which he hopes will raise money for charity.

Mr Cunningham will donate money to West Cumbria Hospice at Home each time the greyhound races.

Called Macmillan Nurse, Mr Cunningham chose the name as the hospice works closely with Macmillan Nurses.

The two year old greyhound is kept at Tom Edgar's kennels and retired grounds at Northside Road, Workington, where Mr Edgar trains and cars for here for free.

She has already raced four times at Newcastle where she has already notched up a second place.

She receives £20 appearance money each time she races and if she wins she could earn up to £120

Having up to four years left to race and competing weekly, Mr Cunningham hopes she will raise plenty of money for the charity.

Hospice at Home provides free nursing and medical care at home for patients with a life threatening illness, as well as support for their families and carers, while Macmillan Nurses work for Macmillan Cancer Support, providing support from the point of diagnosis.

Bob Barnby, fundraising manager for West Cumbria Hospice at Home, said "It is fantastic we have this kind of support in the community as are a local charity for local people. Greyhound racing is something that everyone can get involved with"

At his training kennels, Mr Edgar has worked with thousands of dogs.

He said "I have a field where they can practice. I put music on for them to calm them and feed them well and give them plenty of love"

When the greyhounds have finished racing, at around five years old, Mr Edgar rehomes them. He has placed 150 dogs in three years.

If anyone is interested in looking after a retired greyhound, call Mr Edgar on 07974 384901

Please can people let their feelings known about this.

Here's a link to Tony Cunninghams website Linky Don't contact him thro the "WritetoThem" website unless he is actually your local MP as it will go unanswered. There are snail & email contacts on his own website.

Linky to contact addresses for West Cumbria Hospice at home.

Linky to Macmillan contacts

And please cross post where ever possible :flowers:

Marion

Bl**dy hell!!! :angry:

" Mr Edgar has worked with thousands of dogs.....

When the greyhounds have finished racing, at around five years old, Mr Edgar rehomes them. He has placed 150 dogs in three years".

150 out of thousands doesn't sound like many?

Tony Cunningham needs telling doesn't he?

;-)

Bob Barnby, fundraising manager for West Cumbria Hospice at Home, said "It is fantastic we have this kind of support in the community as are a local charity for local people. Greyhound racing is something that everyone can get involved with"

:angry:

IBob Barnby, fundraising manager for West Cumbria Hospice at Home, said "It is fantastic we have this kind of support in the community as are a local charity for local people. Greyhound racing is something that everyone can get involved with"

:rolleyes: I will be writing to this person I think. As a fundraising manager I think he may take notice if people point out that this fundraising activity is hindering other charities who work hard to deal with the consequences of greyhound racing.

Mind you we had a local hospice fundraising at the dog track and they really were not interested hearing about it - they just wanted the money for themselves full stop - sod the charities stuck dealing with the dogs when they are surplus to requirements :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my reply from your MP Marion.

Dear Ms Hassell

Thank you for your email about my sponsorship of the greyhound Macmillan Nurse.

I can assure you that I share your hatred of the way some greyhounds are treated once they finish racing. I can also assure you that Tom Edgar is a well known trainer and as well as caring for the animals he trains and runs, he also runs a charity to find good homes for retired greyhounds. I have visited Tom’s kennels many times and in my opinion they are first class where greyhounds are treated kindly and with love. Tom also runs kennels for boarding pets whilst their owners are on holiday and he has an excellent reputation.

I am confident that Macmillan Nurse will be looked after during her racing days and Tom tells me that since the story in the local newspaper, he has had approaches from local people wanting to take retired greyhounds into their own homes. Tom has re-homed 150 dogs over the past three years.

You might be interested to know that I was responsible for guiding the Animal Welfare Bill through the House of Commons and I voted against fox hunting.

Tony Cunningham MP

Workington

Not much use is it?

Here's my reply from your MP Marion.

Dear Ms Hassell

Thank you for your email about my sponsorship of the greyhound Macmillan Nurse.

I can assure you that I share your hatred of the way some greyhounds are treated once they finish racing. I can also assure you that Tom Edgar is a well known trainer and as well as caring for the animals he trains and runs, he also runs a charity to find good homes for retired greyhounds. I have visited Tom's kennels many times and in my opinion they are first class where greyhounds are treated kindly and with love. Tom also runs kennels for boarding pets whilst their owners are on holiday and he has an excellent reputation.

I am confident that Macmillan Nurse will be looked after during her racing days and Tom tells me that since the story in the local newspaper, he has had approaches from local people wanting to take retired greyhounds into their own homes. Tom has re-homed 150 dogs over the past three years.

You might be interested to know that I was responsible for guiding the Animal Welfare Bill through the House of Commons and I voted against fox hunting.

Tony Cunningham MP

Workington

Not much use is it?

No Wendy it isn't :wacko: Dress it up however he wants..he is still contributing to the VILEST industry whish, although not all trainers, many dont give a DAMN about the dogs once the pennies stop coming in from them :angry:

It's not good enough and I hate the way he talks down to people, he ignores or glosses over what he doesn't want to address. I found this when I wrote to him about the plight of greyhounds after the Times article last year. He won't be getting my vote again for sure :angry:

I intend to keep at him.

Marion