UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Holding The Bow

Brammie

I taught Ash the bow at the weekend, hes got it perfectly although im trying to train out the hand signal at the mo but hes struggling to hold the bow for longer than a few secs - he just automatically goes into a down without thinking.

Any ideas to get him to hold it for a few seconds longer?

:laugh: :laugh: I had to look to see why on earth you were teaching Ash to hold a bow and whether the arrows were part of next weeks lesson :laugh: :laugh:

I am doing the same thing at the moment with Lady and she also is very quick to go into the down - what I am trying to do is hold out slightly on the click so if she is too quick so does not get a click and treat and hopefully lengthen it that way - we are still in early days though so not sure yet if that is working

With Lady to start I just put the target stick low on the floor between her front legs and she bent back to touch it - the problem is you have to be really quick to catch the bow movement before the dog lays down (at least with Lady who tend to do things quite speedily when she knows there is food on offer :laugh: )

I was lucky enough to go to one of Mary Rays caberet evenings last week and she used quite a bit of free time where she let the dogs offer behaviour and then clicked if it was something she liked and I am trying to use this with my two as well at the moment. Lady has caught on to the idea straight away and I am mostly being offered bows which I am happily accepting and trying to add the cue to and shape longer times. Gnasher has still not got enough of an idea about clicker training to know what he is meant to be doing if I am not helping him so we are still struggling with him!!

I found the easiest way to teach a reliable and happy bow is to click a play bow, start prancing side to side with your dog until they drop into a play bow and click, this means the dog understands the bow is not part of the down but a play bow, which they use and understand themselves, then its a case of holding your click a bit longer, thats how I taught it and everyone comments on Bilbo's bow because its fast and enthusiastic :biggrin:

I intially taught Ash with the target stick but he prefers hand signals so im stuck trying to wean him off them now - i point to the floor and being a tart he puts his front feet down first and holds his bum in the air jsut long enough for me to C/T.

Ive found he works it much better if hes playing or happy than if he knows there is food on offer.

While he was playing with pop earlier i called to him to Bow and he did :ohmy: we were both shocked that he got it right :laugh:

Ive also managed to get him holding the Bow for about five seconds now, once hes in a bow I shovel treats into his gob until he goes into a down then the treats stop.