UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Eating His Own Poo

Paula

I know this has been talked about before but I can't find it.

Thomas is 9 months old and I've had him 3 weeks now, he came from an elderly couple who bought him as a pomeranian but he is in fact a pom/sheltie and was too much for them as they just want a lap dog which he most definatly isn't. :laugh:

Thomas will eat his own poo if he has an accident in the house, think it may be because he's worried about being told off as he doesn't do it when he poos outside.

I know this will hopefully be solved once he's clean indoors but in the meantime has anyone got any ideas how to stop him as it makes me want to :sick01: when I see him doing it and if I go towards him to pick it up it makes him eat it faster. I try not to do this but will sometimes miss that he has had an accident as he will eat all of it especially first thing in the morning when I'm in bed still. He's not crated as he sleeps on the bed with me and my other dog which has caused no problems and is something I don't want to change.

Sorry I know it's lunchtime so hope no ones eating.

Tricky one, as it certainly sounds like a learned behaviour resulting from poor (old fashioned) house training.

The only solution I can think of is management so he is never in the position to poo when alone and hope it will break the habit.

We had a similar problem with Oscar, our 2.5 year old rescue when we had him last December. He had been in kennels for 10 weeks before we adopted him and was quite underweight. We put the poo-eating down to the fact that he would eat anything! He only ate it outside though cos we were lucky and he's never messed in the house since we've had him (unless he ate the evidence! :unsure: )

However, after changing his diet from Baker's to James Wellbeloved (thanks to lots of great advice from people on here :flowers: ) he hasn't done it again. Maybe the diet has had something to do with it. I think it's also because he's in a routine with us now and knows what times he'll be fed and go for a walk.

We adopted another rescue boy last month and he also ate his own and Oscar's poo given half a chance :sick01: . Reading your post has only just made me realise that he's stopped doing it too! He's on JWB as well.

Good luck with Thomas :flowers:

Debs x

have you tried feeding a few chunks of pineapple in with his food, this works for about 90% of poo eaters it apparently makes the poo taste horrible (well to the dog anyway :sick01: ) works for me, & my mums dog

I've just bought some tins to try and am interested you say it's worked with you and your Mum's dog.

Do they eat the pineapple OK?

Pineapple contains enzymes which aid digestion (which is why we eat it with pork, and why courgette also helps some dogs) the reason I say I think it's a mangement thing is that the dog isn't driven to do it when not alone/in the house - as if he's happy to leave the evidence under those circumstances......

Likewise, a change of diet may help some dogs if it is more digestable - less passes through to be tempting them at the other end.

With most behaviour problems, if you can sort out the *whys* you can move forward.

I know a lot of it is down to me getting him outside before he does it at home as when he's at Dad's he asks to go out and has only once pooed in the house there and didn't eat it. Perhaps I'm putting too much pressure on him at home as I dash in to clear it up as soon as I see him doing it.

I'm going to try the pineapple and make sure I take him out as soon as he wakes up.

Thanks for your replies.

Just thought you might like a little update.

He's had pineapple for the last 2 days and thinks it's great, Dudley's not so impressed and spat his out (Oh well I was only trying not to leave him out).

I've stopped being a lazy moo and have taken him out as soon as he wakes up at 5.30 and he's peed and pooed straight off, the only problem is he doesn't go back to sleep so neither can me or Dudley :biggrin:

The pineapple seems to be helping as his poo isn't as soft either.

• 3 weeks later...

Still having the same problem here with Harry. He has had pineapple, we tried covering it in cayenne pepper, he eats it wether inside or out. We do tend to stand over him while he is going to bag it up as quickly as possible but boy is he quick. Don't know what else to try now?

• 1 month later...
However, after changing his diet from Baker's to James Wellbeloved (thanks to lots of great advice from people on here :flowers: ) he hasn't done it again. Maybe the diet has had something to do with it.

Good luck with Thomas :flowers:

Debs x

have you tried feeding a few chunks of pineapple in with his food, this works for about 90% of poo eaters it apparently makes the poo taste horrible (well to the dog anyway :sick01: ) works for me, & my mums dog

My Cliffy eats his own poo too and when I asked the vet about it she said this one was still amystery, no-one knows for sure why certain dogs do itoh and he is on James Wellbeloved too :rolleyes:

Whats the betting the awkard little s*d does'nt like pineapple either :laugh:

nah, he will eat anything...

I believe pineaple works because it contains digestive enzymes which the dog may be lacking - it's why humans eat pineapple with pork. Grated courgette is supposed to work as well, and it too contains enzymes.

However, if your dog isn't eating poo because it's short on enzymes, pineapple won't work.....

• 3 weeks later...

Maddie eats pooh, but it's not hers or masons, it's every bugger elses, so I just have to be firm with her and say no, and pull her away, she is starting to stop it, but If she finds some outside in the field, she looks to see what I am doing, and she then moves away.. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...