UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Can I Give

Mommy Bear

Duke has colitis and is prone to gastric attacks. This takes the form of not eating, being grumpy and suffering the most horrendous tummy rumblings - very loud - and must be very uncomfortable. This lasts for about half a day and then he starts to eat and cheer up. This is followed by a dire rear (no matter what he eats - be it normal rations or rice and nice). This happens about every couple of weeks. The Vet is not overley concerned so long as his symptoms are mild.

The wind in his abdomen must be quite painful and I wonder if anyone uses or knows of anything that would relieve his rumblings and make him more comfortable?? :flowers:

I have had dogs with similar problems and my old vet always advised me to offer burnt toast! Later I discovered specially prepared charcoal dog cobs, available from pet stores, so try and pop a few of these into a bowl so the dogs can help themselves as required, which all mine still do.

Duke has colitis and is prone to gastric attacks. This takes the form of not eating, being grumpy and suffering the most horrendous tummy rumblings - very loud - and must be very uncomfortable. This lasts for about half a day and then he starts to eat and cheer up. This is followed by a dire rear (no matter what he eats - be it normal rations or rice and nice). This happens about every couple of weeks. The Vet is not overley concerned so long as his symptoms are mild.

The wind in his abdomen must be quite painful and I wonder if anyone uses or knows of anything that would relieve his rumblings and make him more comfortable?? :flowers:

No suggestions really but i hope he feels better soon. Dylan has colitis and had the very same attacks, its really upsetting especially the tummy rumblings, they're so loud!

Luckily Dylan desn't have them since i changed his food.

What did you change to?

He's on Burgess Supadog Sensitive now, I add a small bit of raw mince to it and he's fine.

Trial and error with what starts him off, he can have v small tidbits of most things but never beef or pork as they set him off

Our Archie gets an acid tum and his belly rumblings actually wake me up in the night. On veterinary advice he takes a Settler or Rennie. He likes the chewy mint ones which he just eats but when I haven't been able to get them and have to use an ordinary one he will only take it if broken up and wrapped in cheese. But either way it does the trick.

Marion

I used to give my girl a Rennie, actually she only usually needed a half one, she was 25 kg. Charcoal biscs can help if they'll eat them. Toast is rarely refused. Basically you just gotta find what works for your dog. If you can see a Homeopathic Vet, they would probably have a better chance of fixing it.

Will stock up on the Slippery elm. Thanks for the tip racylady. :flowers:

I use Slippery Elm when Rhomi has a tummy flare up. It has meant that on a couple of occasions we've managed to avoid using antibiotics although she often still needs the zantac.

Our Archie gets an acid tum and his belly rumblings actually wake me up in the night. On veterinary advice he takes a Settler or Rennie. He likes the chewy mint ones which he just eats but when I haven't been able to get them and have to use an ordinary one he will only take it if broken up and wrapped in cheese. But either way it does the trick.

Marion

Didn't know they could have these. Thanks Marion :flowers:

Didn't know they could have these. Thanks Marion :flowers:

According to my vet bicarb is a another option but I found it impossible to get into Archie. The vet advised putting it onto a bit of toast but The Archibald wasn't having it :rolleyes: He told me to use about a half teaspoon of it for Arch who weighs just over 13kg. It might work for others.

Marion

Marion

Fin suffers with loud squelching noises at night although thankfully no back door trots but I hadn't realised you could use Rennies or Settlers :flowers: .