UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Digital Tv

Ingrid

l've just realised that once analogue tv is turned off I might as well get rid of my video/DVD recorder.

It's rarely used unless we are watching one channel and want to record something elsewhere, but from what I can understand, unless you have Sky+ you won't be able to do this any more with a freeview box :angry:

If you are lucky enough to live in an area like me (where we haven't even got channel 5 on analogue yet) you get a total of about a dozen channels on freeview, BBC1 & 2 work intermittently, then Sky is a necessity if you want to watch anything other then terrestrial TV.

I find it tottaly unaaceptable that I will still have to pay for a TV licence and then also pay Sky to watch the very channels that the licence is supposed to pay for :angry: :angry:

I've been involved with promoting the digital switch over, so I can perhaps explain a few things:-

Freeview is a lot more than a dozen channels (or it will be when the full system is up and running in your area) I think there are about 40 channels on the Freeview package.

Digital TV will be received through your standard ariel (although some older ariels MAY need replacing or retuning) so if the input to your video or DVD recorder is through an ariel, you'll still be able to record a programme just as you do now. If you want to watch one thing and record something else, you will need a different box, much like a Sky + box which has two 'inputs' so you can record one and watch another, just as non digital homes have to now.

Don'T panic!!! Most areas at the moment, the Freeview signal is running on reduced power. The plan is to have everything running at proper levels by the time the switch over date for your area is in sight.

l've just realised that once analogue tv is turned off I might as well get rid of my video/DVD recorder.

It's rarely used unless we are watching one channel and want to record something elsewhere, but from what I can understand, unless you have Sky+ you won't be able to do this any more with a freeview box :angry:

If you are lucky enough to live in an area like me (where we haven't even got channel 5 on analogue yet) you get a total of about a dozen channels on freeview, BBC1 & 2 work intermittently, then Sky is a necessity if you want to watch anything other then terrestrial TV.

I find it tottaly unaaceptable that I will still have to pay for a TV licence and then also pay Sky to watch the very channels that the licence is supposed to pay for :angry: :angry:

Whilst I also find the signal isn't strong enough at the moment - despite having bought a supposedly high gain aerial - I cant see why this will be so to be honest.

The reason you can do this is because your tv & video/dvd each have their own built in tuners - each tunes into a seperate channel from your aerial so I would have that should still be possible from your freeview box. If the worst came to the worst however & that wasn't possible you could have a freeview box plugged directly into your dvd/video rather than the tv & by then technology will probably move on again anyway.

Neither my TV or DVD have built in freeview, so it means that to do it I will have to buy more freeview boxes :angry: and probably have a new aerial put up :angry:

FREEVIEW is sounding more and more like EXPENSIVE VIEW