UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Some Advice Please

kingprawn

Hi All

I know I haven't been on here for a while but would really appreciate if any of you peeps could shed some light on our problem with Malo

For the past three weeks he has been getting us up 2 or 3 times a night. We let him out and he doesn't want to go for a pee etc - he will just stand in the hallway - it is as if he has forgotten what he got us up for :unsure:

We have also noticed that he has started having "Looney Moments" as we call them - he will chuck toys around for about 30 seconds and then just flop on the floor and go to sleep :wacko:

His routine hasn't changed and he is eating and drinking fine - for those who don't know he is a GSD cross - about 10 years old (according to the vet) and in good health.

If anyone can shed any light on this I will be eternally grateful - me and Hubby need a good nights sleep!!

Prawny

xx

Thanks for your replies :flowers:

He does respond when we call him (evenutally :rolleyes: ) - I am not sure wether he is just choosing to ignore us or wether he does hear us at first.

We had an incident the other day which now springs to mind after reading the previous thread (thanx Doggie mum).

Malo used to suffer badly from nervous agression - this has got a lot better over the last few months and we haven't had any incidents for about 6 months, until the other day. A friend of ours, who has been away working for 6 months, came round - Malo has met her loads of times before and she has even stayed and looked after him for us for a weekend before. I don't know why I choose to but I decided to muzzle him to start with as he hadn't seen her for a while - Malo went up to her and she was stroking him no problems - he then suddenly snapped without warning.

I put it done to him being grumpy with the heat (he does suffer when it is hot).

No advice I'm afraid. Bumpy has nights every now and then where he will wake me up so I let him out and he just goes and sits in the middle of the garden :wacko:

Gdog went a bit senile but that was very much in his later years. Nothing really specific, just seemed to be in a world of his own a lot of the time.

My oldie started showing similar signs a few months back. We tried activait capsules which didn't help so then switched to vivitonin and he's like a different dog. He's naughty and silly and all the things he was before he started going senile.

The vet did say that there was no guarantee that it was senility - could have been other neurological problems but I was reluctant to put him through tests that would have made little difference to the end result.

I have made an appointment with the vet at 5.50pm on Monday - I will let you know how it goes

He is sound asleep at the moment :rolleyes: and I have moved his bed into our room tonight (much to Mr Prawns disgust :rolleyes: )just hoping it may help him settle - i really need a whole nights sleep

thanks again peeps :flowers:

Hi peeps

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday :flowers:

Malo is going in tommorow for blood tests - she has to sedate him so couldn't do it yesterday :rolleyes:

She thinks it may just be old age and going senile - but she wants to do blood tests to check there isn't anything else lurking :unsure: - when the results are back she will then talk to us about different treatments available etc

Fingers crossed for tommorow

Back from the vets - very eventful as there were quite a few dogs in the waiting room :rolleyes:

Anyway, she has taken some blood and will call us when the results are back.

She has also give a weeks worth of medication for epilepsy to see if it helps - she has given us Epiphen 60 mg twice a day - apparantly it will make him sleepy but we have to ring if his legs get wobbly and he falls over :wacko: :unsure: as she has give him a medium dose not a low dose

Fingers crossed

x