UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Crying When I Go Out The Room

Julie C

There are 4 people in this house and we all feed, train and play with Harry. 1 goes to school the other 2 go to work but very rarely am I in the house alone for more than 2 hours a day. So why is it wether I go to the loo, dustbin or shopping does he cry, whine and scream yet doesn't do it when anyone else goes out? I ignore him when I come back in, I don't say anything to him when I leave but am at a loss what else I can do? I don't want this to escalate into full blown seperation anxiety and want to nip it in the bud now. :flowers:

Julie x

Can I ask when you got Harry, did you pick him up??

Probably my brain working overtime, but if Harry is a rescue dog then that could make sense.

I "rescued Dylan" and for the first few weeks I couldn't go to the loo without him squealing. :rolleyes: Now he is fine so long as someone is here if that makes sense. Dyls has been here for 14 months and he is over the initial separation anxiety he was beginning to show.

I would suggest that you pop Harry into a different room perhaps behind a stairgate where he can still see you to begin with.

Then perhaps progress to putting him into a different room with a Kong with treats in for 5 minutes, then increase the time.

I'm sure eventually he will learn to be separated from you isn't a "bad" thing. :flowers:

Sorry without a "background" it can be difficult to advise.

Kazz xx

We picked him up from Waw 4 weeks ago. There were 3 of us but I sat with him all the way home. He goes out in the car without me visiting and is always fine. I expect it will take time it just seems strange its only when I leave for some reason. He has a kong so will try that and extend the time I go out each time. Thank you. :flowers:

Julie x

We picked him up from Waw 4 weeks ago. There were 3 of us but I sat with him all the way home. He goes out in the car without me visiting and is always fine. I expect it will take time it just seems strange its only when I leave for some reason. He has a kong so will try that and extend the time I go out each time. Thank you. :flowers:

Julie x

Forgot to add he is 12 weeks old too and was up for rehoming at 7 weeks so is still only young. :flowers:

Julie x

Julie, when we first got Dylan I couldn't go anywhere without him, including the loo. He'd sit outside the door and make these pathetic whimpering noises. Even if he was asleep and I went into another room he'd be straight up and following me, I fell over him umpteen times because I hadn't realised he was right behind me and I stepped back or turned round and trod on him! As time went on he did it less, and now I complain I might as well not have a dog, as after his morning walk and breakfast he disappears upstairs onto the spare bed, and doesn't move again till he hears me making my lunch. (He does still follow my OH around though, probably because he doesnt see so much of him).

Its rather like clingy toddlers, they drive you mad holding your skirts then when they become independant and dont need you, you miss them. He will grow out of it, but if you know you are going to be doing something for a while which he can't join you for, make sure he's had a game, and a little something to eat, then hopefully he'll settle and have a nap.

Sue

• 1 month later...

Well we must have the naughtiest pup around. Apart from still eating his poo, biting, he still doesn't like me anywhere he can't see me. Only if he is in the garden can I keep nipping inside and he doesn't bother. I am dreading actually leaving him in the house totally alone as I can believe it is going to get him really stressed but for the moment that is no problem. I need to wee and shower in privacy but can't. :laugh: