UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Am I Fat?

tegk68

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eye will veezit ewe soon an wee kan av sum choccee luuuurve :wink:

Bert has suddenly stopped crying :biggrin: and says "poppsie I lurves you and can't wait for chocie snogs and for us to roll round the grass together like two little chocolate swiss rolls" :wub:

Jorj! Bert says "he is liking the word plumshuss very much, cos that is exactly what he is. He also completely relates to the muscle v fat thing. He is just all muscle and hair too. he thinks, thanks to Jorj, that he knows where he's been going wrong as he wakes mum up at 6am in the morning and that is too late :glare: . Lastly he would like to say to Jorg "keep up the good fight".

I have just weighed myself and then me with Bert (I collapsed on the scales the first time but fortunately neither of us were hurt. The second time I just sort of stumbled off). I then subtracted mine and Bert's weight from err my weight and came up with an enormous figure. I have now looked online for "ideal weight for a lab". They vary a lot between websites. Is there a good one to use does anyone know? :unsure:

I have just weighed myself and then me with Bert (I collapsed on the scales the first time but fortunately neither of us were hurt. The second time I just sort of stumbled off). I then subtracted mine and Bert's weight from err my weight and came up with an enormous figure. I have now looked online for "ideal weight for a lab". They vary a lot between websites. Is there a good one to use does anyone know? :unsure:

Oh dear :unsure:

Average weight is anything between 27kg - 34kg, depending on size, bone structure, amount of wollyness, beer intake etc :biggrin:

Bumpy tends to be about 30kg, Tess was 26kg but then she was small. Moog was 46kg :ohmy:

And how many kilos is the gorgeous brown hairy big boned angel :unsure:

OK the scales are saying the same, despite minor adjustments. He is quite tall. A bit taller than your two I think Mindy and he does have enormous sink plunger feet, that alone must contribute 5kgs each.

We are soooo on a diet. Oh yes. :glare:

Molly is 35kg - its so hard not to feed a lab thou!! just those eyes and molly knows if she asks to go out for a wee a lot she gets a biscuit when she comes in - she wont come in when i call her but when i mention biscuits she comes running (i do believe she thinks her name is biscuit) - prehaps she didnt have cystitis a few mths ago??? :laugh: - the thing is she is prone to cystitis now being elderly and also has less control due to spondylosis (sp) so i like to let her out when she asks but she so cons me!!!!

cant really suggest much as i fail all the time - am terrible!! prehaps take him longer walks and swimming if he enjoys that to get some weight off. I happen to think he looks very cuddly and big boned :wub: :wub:

I swear to god as soon as I utter the words "new dog" tonight at my OH, he'll say "NO" before I can get another word in :rolleyes: :glare:

But it isn't a new dog, they are puppies and too young to be away from their mum!! It will be a long term foster dog that wont be with you for long!! :whistle:

I dont really tend to bother with ideal weights for breeds... there are big labs and little labs or in my case there are big lurchers and little ones...

I look at the dog from above, is there a clearly defined waist (and i mean clearly defined not 'ooh he looks like he goes in a tiny bit just there'...)...

Then i feel, again with the dog standing up straight, the back and the last few ribs. You need to be able to feel them quite well.... and heres where you can find it really really easy to kid yourself. Dogs dont tend to get the flabby soft fat we yoomanz gets over our ribs. They get hard fat. Hard fat over hard bones can feel like its just bones, and its not!

If its muscle, that will feel smooth and in flat sheets, on the thighs and bum and either side of the spine.

If its fat its slightly bobbly.

As amusing as it is to say a dog is cuddley (And we all do it im no different), dogs are not meant to carry excess fat under the skin, if theres fat under the skin, think how much is wrapped around the internal organs!

I am the evil queen of doggy diet camp (praps is cos i keep all the pies for myself) - whatever you feed, cut it down by at the very least 1/4, preferably 1/3 - bulk it up with chopped up chunks of veg so poor diety dogs dont feel starved.

Keep back 10 pieces of kibble if you like to give treats, use those as treats.

Im about to have a big rant at my friend whose dog has a cruciate ligament issue at 3 years old, shes 6kg overweight, she was only 5kg over, i got her down to 1kg over (by having her live here with me!!!!! as whenever she went home she got given CAKE).... and friend took her back, noted how much better her leg was and her coat and her energy........ and went back to feeding her fatty curries and cake. Grr doesnt quite cover it! (and no WAY does she have the dosh for the surgery required to repair the cruciate ligaments!)

Em - Doggy Fat Camp

Just take him the vets, and get him weighed and then ask vet nurse, what the ideal weight is for you absolutely gorgeous "big Boned" dog is.

I thought Maddie was over weight at one point but nope, for the size of her she is juuuuuuussssst right. :wub:

But it isn't a new dog, they are puppies and too young to be away from their mum!! It will be a long term foster dog that wont be with you for long!! :whistle:

:biglaugh:

You are bad influence, I bet you could sell ice to an Eskimo??