UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vaccine Reactions?

KathyM

Without meaning to start a massive debate on the rights and wrongs of vaccination, I know you lot are FAB for advice and I would appreciate your experience on this one.

200407sethlump2.jpg

As you can see, Seth has grown a rather large new lump. It's not hard, or even very "feelable", it's fluidy and disappears in your hand when you fiddle with it (and looks a lot bigger than it feels), if you get me. It wasn't this visible til today, I thought I noticed some swelling yesterday but it's in his scruff when he's stood up, so difficult to see until it got this big.

He had his first vacc 10 days ago, and after having rung the vet, we *think* it *might* be a reaction to it. He's not bothered by it, so they're happy to wait to see him until he goes for his stitches out on Tuesday. However, this is when his 2nd vacc is due also, and I'm a bit worried about him having a 2nd.

I was wondering if any of you lot have witnessed similar reactions and if so, what did you do? Did you let them have the 2nd vacc? Did you notice any other symptoms (we *think* he might be a bit stiff in his joints, but not sure if it ties in)? OR, have you seen this kind of swelling caused by anything else?

Thanks

Kathy

xxx

Oh poo, wrong bit. Sorry! Edit: Thank you Emmalicious!

Edited by KathyM

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had that reaction in the dogs. But I did with one of the horses about 10 years ago. She had been very run down as had no end of problems both mental and physical at the time and was at college. I arranged to take her back home and was going to get her vaccination done when she got home and was feeling a bit better, as it wasnt due for nearly a month. But the college arranged her to be vaccianted without me knowing. she came up with a massive fluid filled swelling on her chest, but I just left it until it went down. It didn't seem to bother her, but I think it was the least of her problems at the time.

It could well be a vaccine reaction and if the vet agrees that that is the case then I would not have him vaccinated again. When a dog has had one reaction they tend to have more if revaccinated and they can become more severe. If it doesn't go down I would ask the vet to aspirate some fluid from it and see if they can identify it from that. Does he suffer from any AI disorders that you know of, dry eye for example?

Summer, the little Cocker I used to dog sit always had violent reactions to vaccination. Everything swelled up, her eyes, mouth. Then they started to give her something before giving the vacs. I don't know what it was.

Myself I would never have had her vaccinated again once I knew for sure that was the cause.

It may not be in Seth's case as the poor baby has had a lot to cope with before coming to you and then having his jewels removed.

Sending oodles of positive thoughts that this is just an innocent lump.

Not that I know of, but he hasn't been here long. I've got to admit I don't know what to look out for when it comes to auto-immune problems. Are there any typical warning signs? Sorry for being so numb, and thank you. :flowers:

You're not numb! I don't know huge amounts about AI problems myself, I've just been doing some research recently as my dog is due his first set of booster vaccs soon and I've been wavering over letting him have them or not...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...p;articleid=962

I know you haven't had Seth long so it's hard to tell. AI disorders can cause eye and skin problems, more serious conditions such as AIHA would be more obvious such as anaemia, lethargy and uncontrolled bleeding.

I would be very careful about having him revaccinated though until you know what has caused the lump and ruled out the possibility of it being a reaction :flowers:

Edited by cockergirl

Most fluid filled lumps as far as I know turn out to be cysts or abscesses. If the lump isn't at the exact site of injection then I wouldn't have thought it was a reaction? As far as I know a vaccine reaction is more likely to be systemic ( i.e. affect the whole body) When Charlie has been reacted to something ( ? grass, we aren't sure) she's come out in hardish lumps all over.

Just found this on the net

Vaccination lumps - seromas and abscesses

Q: Hi my name is Jorge and I want to tell you that my dog have a problem because the doctor put the vaccine in a wrong way or place and it have a really big ball where the vaccine was put near the stomach. The doctor said that he will have to remove it if it dont get more liquid and if get liquid he will take it out with a syringe. I wonder if you can tell me if another thing may be done. If you dont understand write me . Thank you Jorge.

A: Jorge- I am pretty sure that your dog is probably better by now. Sometimes lumps do form where vaccines are given. If these are fluid filled lumps they are usually either abscesses or seromas. An abscess is an infected pocket under the skin and they are a rare problem. Seromas are accumulations of serum, the liquid portion of the blood, under the skin. These occur when the vaccine irritates the veins in the area and they leak serum or if there is bleeding under the skin, perhaps due to the needle passing through a vein or skin artery. These are more common than infections (abscesses) and they tend to go away on their own after one to three weeks. It is always a good idea to let your vet look at any lumps that form after vaccination, which you seem to have done. I am sure your vet will keep working with you to resolve this problem as long as is necessary.

Mike Richards, DVM

taken from here

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dvaccprob.html

Edited by alexis

Thank you very much all of you. :flowers:

I know the lump looks in the photo to be in the wrong place for a vaccination site, but when he is stood up, the lump is high up in his scruff. It's only when he splays out like he is in the pic that it lies on his shoulder blade.

It is impossible for me to know if it is the exact injection site, as he had his vaccination while he was at the vets for his surgery. I would be interested to hear suggestions of what else it could be. I don't think it's a reaction to an insect bite as I've seen that before and there is no redness or irritation. It is not hot or firm, which would suggest an abcess (although I won't rule that out).

I'm very much in two minds about whether to let him have his 2nd without knowing for sure what caused this - I suppose we'll have a better idea when he goes back on Tuesday, but I'd like to go armed with information so I don't choose the wrong option. One concern is that without his 2nd vacc, we will be unable to kennel him in future (there are preliminary plans to *maybe* spend Xmas in France with my parents). Obviously I'd rather cancel that than put him at any risk. :flowers:

OB had a lump vaccination reaction last year, not as big as that, about the size of a grape. The vet said it was a seroma and it disappeared after about 3 weeks or so.

She said its not so much an AI reaction, more like one of those bruise things that cause a lump under the skin (the name escapes me :rolleyes: too early.. lol)

Hope Seff is ok :flowers:

Thanks - do you mean a haematoma? Like a big blood blister?

I suppose that's a possibility, but if it was one I'd be surprised if it was from the vaccine at all, as it would've come up when he was actualy vaccinated rather than 10 days later? Oh I dunno. I always pick the funny onions :laugh: