UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Purdie Has Been Promoted!

safneo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you kindly Mrs T :biggrin: You are very kind, although I am very smug. I was to be seen practising my smug face yesterday and introducing people to my "teaching dog." Did I mention I'm smug? :elefant: Purdie rewarded herself by eating something minging and dead yesterday that she found in the field... :sick01:

The main thing is of course that Purdie is happier than ever and it's such a joy to see her interacting nicely with other dogs, playing with dogs she would once have tried to hurt or even kill. I could never have done this with the conventional methods other behaviourists and trainers advised me, without Angela and her incredible knowledge and perception. Even on lead Purdie is fab these days - the amount of off-lead dogs that have come and leapt all over Purdie is ridiculous but she takes it all in her stride now, she's really come such a long way and I'm the proudest mummy ever :D

Course she still has her moments and can be a total baggage but I wouldn't change her for the world :wub:

Oh, and she's the first teaching dalmatian and is now helping dogs in her area of the country. SMUG SMUG SMUG.

Okay I have removed my smug face now and come down to earth!

be as smug as you like Nat! :biggrin: Sounds like your confidence with handling her has grown a lot with her progress as well!! :flowers: :flowers: :biggrin:

Yep, I think that's key. I was practically phobic about taking Purdie out before, the stress crippled me and after talking to a lot of people at Ange's they have felt the same, one couple were having marital problems cos one of their dogs was causing so much stress, it's nice having support and finally someone understanding how complicated Purdie is as much as anything, and being able to feel confident in dealing with other dogs and their owners.

She still has her moments, but who wants a perfect dog anyway? It'd be boring :biggrin:

I just took this photo when clicker training -

Highfive.jpg

and 2 seconds later she went and helped herself to the rest of the treats, decided she'd worked hard enough :rolleyes: It was a "high five" for anyone wondering what she was doing holding my hand lol

Edited by Natpants

It's just H at the moment, we can do some basic moves like leaping over legs, twirl & twist, stand, that kind of thing, the problem is as always trying to get Purdie to work for a few minutes without her getting herself into a big shrieking yelling tizzy, she gets super excited and can't concentrate, so we just do the tricks but no routine - although I thought of a cracking idea for one so may try stringing some moves together. Purdie doesn't work for free so it can be tricky keeping her attention too. Any tips?

Oh, and she's the first teaching dalmatian and is now helping dogs in her area of the country. SMUG SMUG SMUG.

Okay I have removed my smug face now and come down to earth!

Don't you DARE remove your smug face! You've bloody earned it!

Explain the 'in her area of the country' bit please, cos I is a nosey tart :D

Purdie has a pupil fairly locally, (who is learning "don't mess with the big girls" as lesson number one lol), we will be meeting up with him and allowing Purdie to teach him outside of Ange's classes :biggrin:

how does Purdie teach the other dog ? ( I have a silly mental image of Purdie standing in front of a blackboard in a park giving a lesson :laugh: )