UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What's The Proportion Of Time Young Puppies Sleep?

Guest caseysmom

Guest caseysmom

I've just had my 7 week old puppy labxretriever and I'm trying to co-ordinate her sleeping with mine! I'm absolutely shattered. She wakes up at 5.00 a.m. after going for her last wee at around 11.30 p.m. Then she wants to play of course, while I'm still bleary eyed. She has 4 meals a day at 8,12,4,8 and we are doing quite well with the toiletting especially as it's been wonderful weather recently. I can't manage on 5 1/2hrs sleep and wondered how long this goes on for and then the next stage that I have to look forward to!! She suddenly will drop asleep frequently during the day up to 2 hours at a time. I don't know whether to let her sleep or wake her up and play even more though that's difficult when the pup is sleeping on her feet! Would love some reassurance that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

It seems such a long time ago now that my boy was a pup, but the thing I did notice was you feeding her at 8pm. Try feeding her earlier for the last feed so that she relieves herself fully before bedtime. I only used to feed my pup 3 times a day and he was fine with that. He also used to get bits as training treats through the day. Pups are just like babies, each one is different and learn at different paces. I'm sure she will be sleeping through soon. :biggrin: Can you have a kip in the afternoon when pup is asleep for a couple of hours?

I think that's just puppies for you!! I can remember sitting and looking at Rudi in the early hours when he was small and thinking "what have I done"! :ohno02: Try making her last meal much earlier (as suggested) and go to bed earlier - you'll find she sleeps more as she gets older, but I hate to tell you that it's just a case of grin and bear it for another couple of weeks :wacko: It does change though!

Definately only 3 feeds a day, I agree that 8pm is too late for food. I don't remember having any problems with Sidney but I guess cos he had the other 2 and a dog flap it made life alot easier!! Does pup have a definded sleeping area, ie do you have her crate trained? That might help if she has somewhere that is hers? I have never crated trained any of mine but I know it works for alot of people..so if you need advise on it I'm sure someone will be able to help?

Good Luck...I'm so jealous I loved every minute of Sidneys puppyhood! :biggrin: :flowers:

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Guest caseysmom

Unfortunately I have to stick to Guide Dog rules [as I'm a puppy walker for them for the first time as soon as I retired] and feed four times at 8,13, 4 and 8 so that they get into pattern for evacuation as they also have to be trained to toilet on concrete and on command, so it's no mean task and I'm sure what they advise will come out alright in the end. I wasn't sure whether her sleeping a lot during the day affected her sleeping during the night. However over the last few days she's improved and we are now going to 6.00 a.m. Yippee! She does have a crate and takes herself off into it whenever she wants to kip. I just didn't know what to expect on the sleeping/waking front and was feeling sooooo tired that I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel but I can now, bless her little cotton socks. Here's piccie of hertango7-3.jpg

bless her she looks adorable :wub:

11:30 to 6 is good, Indy slept from 1am to 5am for the first month or two! :huh: Puppies are like babies, they need sleep through out the day, so no need in trying to keep her awake. You only grow while you sleep you know! :wink: Good luck with her, I hope she will make someone a fine helper one day, although it will be hard for you to say goodbye to her :flowers: