UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hello

MikeM

Hi

My name is Mike and we are taking a stray westie into our home from a rescue centre to join our two westies :biggrin:

Maddy has a very bad skin compliant and has lost most of her coat it appears that he has had this for quite some time :mecry: I have been told it is a yeast complaint but I am sure with medication and a load of TLC we will get her back to her prime.

Can anyone give me any advice of how to treat this complaint or have had any experience on what we can and cannot feed her

Thank you in anticipation

Mike

why helloooooooooooooooo.........westies.....skin complaints......ohhh where do I start.

Firstly - what are you feeding her?

My ikkle Westie had a very bad skin complaint for most of last year. He lost about 70% of his hair, he stank and parts of his skin were black leathery.

I spent almost 2k on treatments for him, skin test, blood tests etc. You name it, we did it.

I changed vets in September and I'm pleased to say that Henry now has 90% hair back :biggrin: all my new vet has done has changed his diet and put him on soem different tablets and shampoo.

So this is my new routine......

Henry is fed on Burns Fish or Wafcol Salmon and Potato. He has no meat in his diet whatsoever. For treats he is fed raw carrots or other raw veg, eg turnips.

He has a full tablet of Noroclav a day plus two little ones I forget the name of.

In the evenings on alternate nights he is bathed in Malaseb (leave of for 5 mins in the infected areas, longer if the infection is bad) and the next night he is bathed in aloe vera shampoo.

All this comes from my new vet. We see him every three weeks and it costs me around £25 each time - which is a massive difference in the £100's I was spending at my last vet.

In October he looked like this:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/vec...nryinfected.jpg

and he now looks like this

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/vec...nx/P1010227.jpg

HTH

anything else, let me know :flowers:

Thanks for coming back so quickly

We are collecting her at lunchtime and were going to feed her James Wellbeloved light Lamb and Rice Kibble

WE have an appointment on Tuesday with a Vet that treats homeopathiacally(spell) as well as traditionally, she is approx 3 years old and we know we are in for a long haul but it will be worth it in the end but any additional advice would be most welcome.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/Mi...24/Image028.jpg

I hope this link works can you tell me if it does

Mike

yes it does. Oh she is gorgeous, just like my Henry. :wub: :wub: well done for taking her on. :biggrin: Oh I'm so jealous I want her :wub: :wub:

If you can try feed her treats made by JWB or someone similar or do the raw veggie thing I do - just in case it is a food allergy.

Also, give a capsule of Cod Liver Oil and Evening Primrose a day. This keeps her coat and skin healthy. :biggrin:

PM me your number if you want and I'll call you later :biggrin:

Welcome to the Refuge Mike :wavey: and congratulations on your new addition :)

My Labrador, who's sadly no longer with me, had a skin complaint and I fed him on Wafcol Salmon - meat based feeds didn't help his skin unfortunately. He also had the Malaseb baths and was treated with Atopica and had fantastic results.

Good luck :flowers:

yes it does. Oh she is gorgeous, just like my Henry. :wub: :wub: well done for taking her on. :biggrin: Oh I'm so jealous I want her :wub: :wub:

If you can try feed her treats made by JWB or someone similar or do the raw veggie thing I do - just in case it is a food allergy.

Also, give a capsule of Cod Liver Oil and Evening Primrose a day. This keeps her coat and skin healthy. :biggrin:

PM me your number if you want and I'll call you later :biggrin:

Cheryl

My number is 07855 275723

Mike

Sorry to be a chump but where can I buy Wafcol salmon, Burns Fish, the shampoo and medication.

Thanks

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike - looks like you've found the right place.

I had a newfie with skin problems dealt with by diet - not as bad as Maddies I have to say and I only mention it to let you know this is not uncommon and not confined to a few breeds :rolleyes:

Good luck with whateve treatment you opt for and keep us posted on the results :wink:

Collected Maddy from the rescue centre and she is coming to terms with her new home together with getting to know Milly and Maisy. We have bought her a coat to go out in.

Thanks for all the support we have received, we have managed to get the Wafcol Salmon and cod liver oil tablets and all three dogs are on the new food regime with Milly and Maisy showing moral support!!!.

We sometimes give them tinned tuna will this be ok for Maddy?

The vet from the rescue centre has given her Rilexine 300mg and Nizoral 200mg tablets.

All the advice will make sure I am ready to see the Vet on Tuesday and know what he is talking about so thanks again