UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

So Many Lucky Breaks, But One Day He Will End Up In Trouble

Hi, I'm just going to jump in with a bit of advice if that's OK :biggrin:

Firstly, do contact a reputable behaviourist - some trainers will advise methods that will make things worse (and so will some behaviourists!).

The link Madmerle gave http://www.apbc.org.uk/members.php is an excellent start. If he is insured, sometimes the insurer will pay.

It's great you have men to help and are going to take advice before using them - what you need to do is change the dog's emotions (classical conditioning) and also use some reward based training (operant conditioning) and he will improve :)

A very good little booklet to buy, to give you some idea of what classical conditioning is about, is Patricia McConnell's "The Cautious Canine" available from Canine Concepts. It's only cheap and explains how to go about changing the emotions - I often recommend it as it says it all so much better than can be explained over the net in one post :flowers:

Lots of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone who has replied has given great advice.

I have a demented GSP called Barnum who was a nightmare to controll off the lead when I first got him....the secret off getting him under control was his ball on a rope...the world could end but if I have it in my hand he is fixed on me....I wonder if a toy or something similar might help you keep Sparky close to you if other people are about?

• 1 month later...

You mention there are other dogs in your household. Are any of them bullet proof with lairy people? What I would suggest is to walk Sparky with a steady dog who doesn't freak out at alarming incidents.

Raven used to freak out on car journeys, leap about and bark like an idiot. After about a month of driving with a quiet dog beside her, this all just stopped. The same thing with Jet - he likes to yodel - but after just four car journeys beside Tui, my quiet, steady dog, this has now subsided to quiet whining. Tui's not freaking out which gives him the idea that maybe there's no reason for him to freak out either.

Can you apply this to Sparky? Dogs learn so many things from each other. If you don't have a steady dog, do you have a friend or relative (or Refuge member!) that does?