UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Do I Do?

Guest myvec

Iv'e got a 2yr old bitch (dressed) which in the house is a good dog, really quite well trained ect...but!!

My cat is terrified of her, and the dog goes for her everytime she see's it, outside with other dog's is dodgy too she lunge's at more/less every dog she see's.

But I'm worried about too, Iv'e got another dog (very big black lab male) and when there both out for a walk she'll (the rottweiler) go in front about 15ft or so turn round and lie down collie like or have the rottie "stance" ready to pounce on him as he's coming towards her.

maybe that's her way of wanting to play but my god it's b loody frightning to watch and hear. I like taking the dog (the one I allready have) to the beech (Ayr) but the way this other one is with other dog's I'm very wary of letting her run with other one whether she's muzzled or not, as she's still a b loody powerfull dog...

Does anyone know anything about them, and what would you do in a situation like this..

It sounds to me like the kind of thing that's quite easy to be totally wrong about if you can't see the dogs body language - I think that may be why people have not wanted to post responses, not wanting to send you down the wrong track? Have you been to training classes with her at all?

I think with the cat situation it does make a huge difference if you can reassure the cat so that she's not panicking whenever she encounters the dog. That triggers the dog off to chase. How long have they lived together? Does the cat have a safe dog-free room to retreat to?

Sorry for not responding, TBH I wouldn't like to make suggestions, I think you need someone to see the behaviour and advise from there. My lot all bounce,play and growl and to the inexperienced eye it looks like they are tearing each other apart but it is just play! I wouldn't like to say 'oh don't worry she's playing' and then find out she's hurt another dog or person! I think getting good advise from a behaviourist is worth it's weight in gold!

If you post what area you live I'm sure someone will be happy to recommend someone. :flowers:

In the meantime I wouldn't let her anywhere off lead unmuzzled, 1 of mine wore a muzzle for 5 years...3 of which I'm sure he was perfectly safe, but I just was confident enough to risk it!