UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What is flyball?

gooster

The question I dread people asking me (especially non doggy folk) is 'what's flyball'. The simple answer is that it is a dog relay. There are 4 dogs in each team, and each dog has to run over 4 jumps, fetch a tennis ball from the flyball box and come back over all 4 jumps. It is the fastest, most exhilarating dog sport at the moment (in my opinion). Any breed of dog can do it, at the moment, all 3 of my dogs do flyball - Charliegoo collie x scottie, Eddie - mini schnauzer, and Shara - GSD.

Training a dog to do flyball doesn't happen overnight - Charliegoo was terrified of the flyball box to begin with.

At first, the dogs run in a lane of netting with the jumps and a flyball box - this means they can't really run out of the lane and round the jumps

99c439f2fcb8c75137ad44f50e503faa.jpg

Then they progress to running with jump wings at the side of the jumps, meaning that they can run out if they want, but it's more difficult

8eb32eb8402e60a1e2f2af4d21a52b28.jpg

Then, they progress to running without any jump wings or netting

39ee287681a7f8adbafe8f3a0f416139.jpg

The picture below shows Charliegoo doing a swimmers turn on the box. Believe it or not, Eddie has the best turn out of all of my dogs!!

2dd70c5dd0bbb24e9a811571524973c6.jpg

The height of the jumps changes according to the size of the smallest dog on the team, for 8" for dinky dogs, to 14" for the bigger dogs. Eddie jumps at 9" and Charliegoo jumps at 13".

There are competitions every weekend throughout the summer, and teams travel for miles and miles to get to a tournament - last year we travelled all the way from Manchester to Knebworth for a tournament :o