UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Skellie Just Had A Fit

Queenfish

I thought she'd accidentally rolled off the settee, but then she went into really violent convulsions and was foaming at the mouth. The fit went on for about five minutes, then she gradually calmed down. She's come out of the fit, her back legs are weak, but getting stronger and she is very disorientated and restless.

I've tried getting her to lie down but she wants to walk around, although her sense of direction seems to have gone and she's bouncing off walls. I've got a warm coat on her and given her a drink. Unfortunately, R is in Birmingham and won't be home until late. I don't want to call him because he will only worry and he can't do anything. My friend round the corner is on stand by in case we have to go to the vets in a hurry but I don't know what else to do. Any advice really appreciated.

I don't think I've ever felt more scared or more useless in my life.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old lurcher was prone to fits like you describe, and it is always advisable to speak with your vet and seek their advice ASAP. In the mean time, try to keep her quiet and be reassuring, but with a care for your own safety if she is disoriented and frightened, in case she snaps. If she's on the settee, can you try to place extra cushions that would prevent her falling off again and possibly injuring herself, or even something soft on the floor, should it happen again.

There could be any number of reasons for the onset of such fits, and some may be one-off events. In my old one's case, she had a form of sleep aponea and an irregular heart beat, and excitement or fear (as in thunderstorms/fireworks could bring a fit on. Other causes could be something eaten - such as chocolate or other toxins - or the onset of epilepsy etc., therefore best to speak with the vet.

I've tried phoning my vets but they have contracted emergency care out to another vet group who aren't picking up (why didn't I think of that?). Skellie has been pacing for about the last 20 minutes, but she's finally laid down on a pile of cushions - I think if she goes to sleep, I'll talk to the vet but try to delay any decision until later when R is home.

My George is epileptic so I know the fear and panic you are feeling :GroupHug:

George is very restless after a seizure and often runs round like a loon and is disorientated before crashing out for a long deep sleep.

I give him vanilla ice cream to boost his blood sugar, you can also rub honey on the gums or give on a piece of bread if the dog will accept.

This may be just be a one off. Speaking to your vet is a good idea :)

This site is excellent Canine epilepsy

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: for both you and Skellie.

Marion

Spoken to emergency vet, he thinks she has had another stroke and that she may be restless because she is going to have another vet. Have friend coming to get me and we are going to vets - I will take his advice on what to do, I can't leave her like this.

Thank you all for thoughts and advice.