UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Poor Baby

batmobile

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemstone, Storeton Woods, Bebington as my parents live there so we often do Sunday walk.

Well, Amanda, do you work or are you generally free? Am part timer so we can meet on West Kirby beach. I'll have to find out about the tides. (Could take a while) the invitation is open to anyone who is free at the time we specify....we just need to find one. I am free on Friday.

Gemstone, Storeton Woods, Bebington as my parents live there so we often do Sunday walk.

Well, Amanda, do you work or are you generally free? Am part timer so we can meet on West Kirby beach. I'll have to find out about the tides. (Could take a while) the invitation is open to anyone who is free at the time we specify....we just need to find one. I am free on Friday.

I am free most days apart from friday.. :laugh:

I dont drive but I am sure Maddie wont mind bussing it, she needs to get used to public transport anyway... :biggrin:

Only just read this. I hope Hobbes recovers well. :GroupHug:

I would report these people to the dog warden. One of my dogs went through a phase when he would have behaved exactly as that bulldog did. It wasn't his fault - he was ill and deeply traumatised. But, I made very sure I kept other dogs safe from him and him safe from them. He was muzzled on walks and I carried a pop up umbrella with me to scare loose dogs away with.

And I worked with my dog to help him get better and feel safe around other dogs again. He is fine now - he likes other dogs and does not need to be muzzled any longer. I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if he had badly injured or killed another dog - even if it had run up to us. I used to particularly worry about puppies - they aren't always sensible and don't always have the best recalls.

Tracey xx

Is it strange that I feel more weepy today than the last few days? He is fine in himself, a bit subdued at times and more cuddly but it's healing nicely although obviously sore (the girl opposite gave him a vigorous face rub, caugin him to cry out and move away but bless him he just licked her hand. :) ) I just feel drained. It doesn't help having a bad day in work and having to leave them. My MIL has been told (she dog sits) and I hinted that 'we are just stroking his head' so she didn't accidentally catch it or something. It makes you realise how much you love them.

Is it strange that I feel more weepy today than the last few days?

I don't think it's strange at all. I only realised how ill my dog was when he attacked and badly injured my friend's dog. Both of us coped well at the time - got her dog to the vet to be stitched up, got him home. Made follow on appointments with her vet etc.

Obviously, we were both upset at the time but it was a few days later for both of us when we really got weepy and depressed. I think it was just because the initial shock was subsiding and the reality of what had happened sank in.

Tracey xx

Hope Hobbes is feeling better real soon.

Fiona, I disagree with you totally and no, I have no intention of getting into a slagging match.

I thought one of the slogans we were using in the fight against BSL was that the problem was at the other end of the lead and not just the barky bit down near the ground..

dog on a lead attacks off lead dog, can't the owners of this dog have tugged on the lead to prevent this.

By the sounds of it Hobbes didn't attack but was attacked.

And why can't dogs be off lead, just because you have large dogs and do the sensible thing by keeping them on the lead does not meant other owners have to as well.

My 'little' dogs are on leads unless we are on the old railway line, they get re-attached when a 'large' breed comes along just in case anything happened, after all, I don't want to have to pay out a vets bill when my Cliffy takes on a rottie/doberman/gsd/airdale and gives it a bit of a pasteing.

but hey, if we all agreed all the time wouldn't the refuge be a dull place. :)

I hope Hobbes is feeling better. I know exactly how it feels to have your dog attacked when its unprovoked. Indy is a much larger dog, greyhound x saluki and was attacked when he was on lead by a dog that just walked past him and then disappeared, it then made a beeline for him and got him around the neck resulting in 2 hours on the operating table. This person refused to give me their name and address, this dog is still being walked without a muzzle (whether she is being walked off lead or not I don't know as we no longer go to the park where the attack took place). A consequence of the attack is that Indy is now very fear aggressive of strange dogs and I now walk him onlead and muzzled which doesn't seem fair. However, I am aware of his Jeckyl and Hyde nature with regard to strange dogs so I have taken it upon myself to protect other people's dogs which I feel is only right. I now have an issue with people who allow their dogs to bounce up to Indy when they can see he is muzzled and onlead. I'm so fed up with it that I have printed out some leaflets with a picture of him after he was all stitched up and a written explanation to why he doesn't like other dogs which I hand over to owners who have out of control dogs. Its too much hassle trying to explain verbally especially when you are told things like 'well if they bite each other they bite'!

Just to say I did tell the dog warden of the attack and also the police - nothing has happened, I was told it is not illegal for a dog to attack another dog. I was also told that I could try and find out the address of the owner and take them to small claims court to get the vet fees back. I'm sure they've got a spare £750 to give me.

You will find yourself a bit shakey for a while, especially when walking Hobbes, it did take me a few weeks to feel confident walking Indy again, of course, he also picked up on my stress. Things are much better now and we do enjoy our walks.

Edited by Nettie