UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Laptop Help Pleeeze

bebe

Naomi had a laptop for her 21st, and I bought a router-thing so I can she can get the tinternet on there, but its not happening. It says to take the cable out of the back of the computer that the internet is on (thats attached to the modem-thing-with-broadband-on-it) and put it into the router, then get the blue wire that came with the router and put it into the modem. Well, the cable out of the modem doesnt fit anywhere into the back of the router :huh: so how can I do that? The cable that came with the router fits in the modem though, so why isnt there a slot that fits the cable end, in the router? If you see what I mean? :unsure:

Please tell me I dont have to buy something else :(

I thought in my non computer brain that no modem is needed with a router? does that help the wiring problem? :biggrin:

Ummmmm. :huh:

Bebe, can you post the make and model of the router?

its a BELKIN WIRELESS G ROUTER, 54 MBPS, 2.4 GHZ.

It says on the box "CONNECTS TO YOUR ETHERNET ADSL/CABLE MODEM.

It also says "Easy to Install" but its lying. :dry:

I have broadband, but I dont have a phone socket, I dont have a landline :unsure: . I did have a phone socket although it wasnt being used, but the man who fitted the windows took it off, he said if I have broadband and only use a mobile phone, I wont need it?

I just dont understand all this sort of stuff :wacko: I thought a router sort of sent the broadband signal into a laptop, or something? Do I need a landline then?

T'internet comes into your house via a wire. Either a telephone wire, or a cable wire. If your modem was working before you bought the router(when you connected the computer to it) then you obviously have it coming in, even if you don't actually use the landline.

A modem is a fing wot translates the broadband signal into language that a computer can understand.

A router is a fing wot shares the translated broadband signal between several computers. You can get combined modem/routers which is probably what border collie has.

You can have wireless routers or you can have wired one. The router you have is like mine, it is wireless and requires an ethernet connection to your modem. I suspect that your modem has not got an ethernet connector, but a USB one. Generally speaking you get USB connections on modems for use with a BT line, and ethernet connections on modems for use with cable(but there are exceptions). Although it will eventually work wirelessly, you need to connect the router to a computer with a wire to start with, so you can set it up.

There may be others on here that are capable of talking you through setting up, I'm not sufficiently experienced! You need a teccie teenager (or overgrown teenager), but not necessarily a professional. Can you flutter your eyelashes at such an animal? Or ask for one on freecycle? It'll probably be a while before I am in Brizzle again, or I'd offer to come round and give it a good talking to!

Ruth

Edited by Ruthi (borrowadog)

If you don't have a landline, what is your modem plugged into? (apart from your computer!)

According to Amazon, the cable you should have with that router is a standard RJ45 cable, with connectors that look something like this:

rj45-cable.jpg

You should be able to plug that cable into one of the holes on the back of it, probably the one that is green in this pic:

B0000ATBDE.01.PT02._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37829630_.jpg

and the other end into your modem.

So you should end up with a string like this

Wall ----- Modem ------ Router ----- computer & laptop.

I'm confused that you say that the cable that came with the router fits the modem but not the router? The other way round would make more sense to me!

right, Ive got a wire with those things on the end, it came with the router. It fits into the router and into a hole in the back of the modem (although its not the hole it says it should be), then Im supposed to unplug the wire that goes from the back of the modem into the router, but that one doesnt fit? Hang on a minute, which is the right modem then, the one that goes with my pc, or the one that telewest broadband brought?

When I say I dont have a landline, I mean I dont have a phone connection, I only have a mobile. Is that right? Oh Im fed up of this :wacko:

I think the man sold me the wrong thing actually, my router doesnt have 2 arials on like that, it only has one?

Edited by bebe

right, Ive got a wire with those things on the end, it came with the router. It fits into the router and into a hole in the back of the modem (although its not the hole it says it should be), then Im supposed to unplug the wire that goes from the back of the modem into the router, but that one doesnt fit?

??? do you have 2 cables from the modem to the router? Does the one that doesn't fit look like this?

cable_usb.jpg

Hang on a minute, which is the right modem then, the one that goes with my pc, or the one that telewest broadband brought?

I think the man sold me the wrong thing actually, my router doesnt have 2 arials on like that, it only has one?

Which modem are you using now? Do both of them have holes that fit the RJ45 cable?

Depending on exactly which Belkin model it is, it might only have one aerial. That should still work.

:flowers: Yes! thats the one that doesnt fit. The other cable you showed before fits into all of them no problem, but the one youve just shown is supposed to go into the green slot in the router, doesnt fit? Im assuming thats the one, because thats what it says in the manual, to take that cable out of the pc and put it in the green slot, then in the gap that you just took that out of in the pc, plug in the RJ45 cable.

You should only need one cable between the modem and the router, and the RJ45 cable should do for that.

So, the modem should be connected to whatever you've got it connected to now.

The router should be connected to the modem via the RJ45 cable.

The knee-bone should be connected to the shin-bone... no, hang on a minute... :D

That should be all you need to get the laptop connected (assuming it has a wireless card, usually all you need to do is turn it on and it should detect the new wireless network)

The other computer should be connected to the router using a second RJ45 cable.

If you don't have a second RJ45 cable, you may be able to connect the computer directly to the modem with the USB cable (the second one) but I'm not sure if that will work: it depends on what modem you have got.

If it doesn't, you will need another RJ45 cable so you can connect the computer to the router (unless your computer also has a wireless network card - that is a bit more unusual for desktop computers).

It would be better really to connect all the computers to the router, rather than to the modem, as that way is likely to be safer.

:ohmy:

:huh:

:flowers: Thanks, youve been brilliant, I,ll unplug everything, look at all the cables, and start again, Im wondering now if Ive maybe left a cable in one of the boxes or something, Ive got in a right knot with it all :rolleyes: I,ll give it all one more go then smash it up :)

Bebe.. are you telewest broadband? If so read...if not ignore me :laugh:

I bought laptop and belkin router (which came with one cable supplied). I had all kinds of trouble till i realised (well till the nice man on the belkin helpine explained to me!) I needed go out and buy another cable (rj 45)that cost around £7, and from then on it was easy!

Edited by ingipops