UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mugging Other Dog Walkers For Treats.....

Tempest

Jess is a typical bouncy friendly year old lab and she's still jumping up lots - I'm working on it but as yet she's not improving greatly in that department!

I totally appreciate that it's not polite for her to go running up and jumping up at other dog walkers when we're out so if I think she's going to I pop her back on the lead :biggrin: What she's started doing lately though is jumping up really badly if she sees another dog walker has treats - being the food obsessed lab that she is :laugh:

As an example yesterday she was playing with a springer - chasing around/wrestling etc and I was chatting to the other owner. The lady recalled her dog and pulled out a bag of sausages and Jess just went into excitement overdrive!!! Jumping up at the woman and being a general pain! I apologised and offered to put her on lead but the other owner said it was fine and she just totally ignored Jess as I asked her to and we carried on walking - for the next 10 mins or so Jess wouldn't leave the woman alone - walking at her side, having the odd jump up too and when they went to leave the park she tried to follow her too so I popped her back on lead :unsure:

I always have food out with me on walks - I had chicken yesterday and Jess never jumps up for it as she knows she won't get anything unless all 4 paws are on the ground but she doesn't seem to apply this rule to other dog walkers.

It was a shame yesterday as once she saw the sausages she completely ignored the springer who was still desperately trying to play with her.

Basically now as soon as she sees someone's got a bum bag she's in there jumping up and trying to get a treat and I really want to make sure I tackle the behaviour in the right way - any ideas?

I'd say make sure she NEVER gets food from anyone else, especially from their bum/treat bag. If this happens just once, she'll go into overdrive the next few times 'just in case'...

Yep definitely, dogs will remember "success" at this sort of self rewarding behaviour for years if they manage to grab the food, or if some well meaning soul feeds them :rolleyes:

Main rule as Fran says is to never let her succeed; also never let her practise the behaviour and manage it safely by pre-empting her and also judicious use of long lead and your own sausages for when she's good :)

If you can, set up a few stooge friends who can wear foodie bum bags, well zipped up, who you can come across in the park or wherever, and who will, when she jumps up excitedly, totally ignore her (not push her down: totally ignore her - she isn't there).

Something for the future might be to toy train her to do an emergency stop - if the motivation/rewards are high enough, you could do this well with a labrador! :biggrin:

Lindsay

x

Edited by Lindsay

Cal used to be dreadful for mugging people (and he'll still do it if I don't keep an eye on him). He learnt at a young age that if he persists in nudging people's pockets they will feed him. The behaviour was compounded by our training class. A woman used to come along who would feed him constantly if she sat next to us. And the trainer in the class adores Cal. If he ignores me and runs up to her, she will feed him sausages. I have not been at all successful in getting people not to feed him.

So, I taught Cal a very good leave, a good recall. And I worked very very hard on his self control around food.

I was discussing last night with a friend how to use bigger bones like turkey necks as training rewards. I said that I used things like that with Cal in self control work and that at one point I could throw a chicken leg down the garden and when he was halfway to it, have him lie down. And then recall him to me. We haven't practised it for ages and I think it would take some training now before he could do that again.

Tracey xx

Edited by traceymcl

I taught my dogs TAKE IT . It means, you may now have the food treat I'm offering you. Means they don't snatch and I wonder if if might help your dog. If he doesn't hear the word, he won't take the treat.

To teach it, have the dog sitting first. You hold the dog's treat in your hand so that it can be seen, but not taken. Offer it to the dog, all your body giving physical reassurance that he can have it, but don't actually allow him to touch it at all. If he lunges for it, just whip your hand out of the way and ask for a sit again. Eventually, they learn that if they wait for the TAKE IT, they get to take the treat without it being whipped away. It also means that food can be offered, but the dog has learnt to wait for the words before taking it. Gradually have the food showing more and more in your palm. Tui can now be offered food from anyone and she doesn't take it until told.

This is actually rather good when there's little kids around because they always have biscuits and whatnot in their hands and could look to the dog as if they're offering it to them.