UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Senility In Older Dogs

tegk68

Just a quick update.... the vet thought it may well be the start of old age. For the moment she is not on anything as he said the frequency of incidents (or something like that :wacko: ), are not high enough to warrant medical help. He did suggest in the long term that vivitonin may help but for the time being I just have to watch how things go.

At the moment she seems quite bright. Normally I take Aggie with me in the van on short runs to the shops etc, just for some company really, but for the last week I have been taking Cassie everywhere with me. She is really loving this and I think it is helping settle her i.e. knowing where I am and also helping with a bit of added stimulus. Does that make any sense? :wacko:

Anyway, onwards and upwards. There's life left in the old dog yet :biggrin: , thank god! :wub:

Lily has been taking Vivitonin for the last month or so because she has been acting a bit odd. According to the vet it has incredibly few side effects so if your vet does eventually suggest using it, I don't think it's something to worry about.

A bit like you, I've also started giving Lily some extra attention, she's rarely able to go for walks so I think her life is a bit boring - so I'm giving her a little less dinner and instead using the food as treats to get her attention or to get her moving about during the day.

Fingers firmly crossed that Cassie settles down.

Thank you Karen and Lucyandmeg. It's good to hear the benefits of vivitonin. Also I didn't know about Hills BD. I shall have to look into that. I have been supplementing her diet with fish oils in an attempt to boost some brain power. I think like you Karen the added stimulus I have been giving her is helping a little.

She seems really good today, hope Lily is too :wub: