UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Camera Phobic Dog

gremlin22

has anyone ever heard of this before? i just got in a foster dog, she's lovely, a little shy at times but so sweet..

however as soon as you go to tke a photo..either with a camera or a mobile, flash or no flash, she runs and hides..her old owner said she's been a little odd since bonfire night so i can understand to some extent the flash phobia, but even with no flash she runs away scared, even before you take the photo. she will find the smallest darkest corner possible and refuseto budge..

any suggestions on bringing her out of this a bit?

i tried biscuits..she's not fooled..

Yup! :) Jack tries to grab it, if I don't sneak up on him and take the photo really quickly and whip the camera out of the way he will have it, when thwarted he does his floor licking and yicking thing. He knows the mobile has a camera as well so I can't fool him that way, he's a lot better better outside though. Titbits don't help either although he is usually food orientated, he is just too intent on nicking the camera. :biggrin:

Shes associated the flash with the camera - dogs can generalise pretty quick and make associates damn fast and this is how a phobia of one thing can lead to a fear of pretty much everything...

My dog dilly is like this and it started with rumbley trains... it went like this....

Rumbley train...

On a train saw another train approaching when nose pressed against glass (if you do this youll see that the passing train almost appearsto HIT your train and it can feel like it too as your train will rock as the other passes)...

Clearly, next time on the train he was TERRIFIED...

Thunder - sounds like rumbley trains.

Wheely bins sound like thunder.

Rain, when thunder happens its usually raining.

Hail, can happen in thunderstorms.

Fireworks, sound like thunder etc

Dark - all the above have happened in the dark

Fear of going to toilet in my garden, well that was present already along with a low level fear of the dark, as next doors gsd used to jump on his head and try to kill him whilst he was toiletting.... that dog is long dead but the new associations of fireworks, thunder, etc..... he wont toilet out there!

And so from one bad experience, the train, hes now fearful of many things - he IS predisposed to it i think. I also think being neutered young didnt help him much either but the main thing is he was exposed to a very scary thing right in his 8 month fear period. My fault entirely.

And yes - hes frightened of cameras that flash and now cameras that dont flash although hes getting a little better wtih that, the time i took him to a photo studio for photos to go with an article about him, he had to be pinned down as everytime the camera started up, he legged it.

I think the camera thing is getting better as we have a camera on hand most of the time and photos are taken most days of various things including him although not always him, and we make no big deal of it at all. Curing the other stuff isharder as i cannot predict fireworks, thunder, rain etc.

If its JUST cameras now, and fireworks, then you need to work hard to change the associations with these thigns to positive ones before she learns to generalise her fear to things 'like' fireworks and flashy cameras.

Em

Shes associated the flash with the camera - dogs can generalise pretty quick and make associates damn fast and this is how a phobia of one thing can lead to a fear of pretty much everything...

My dog dilly is like this and it started with rumbley trains... it went like this....

Rumbley train...

On a train saw another train approaching when nose pressed against glass (if you do this youll see that the passing train almost appearsto HIT your train and it can feel like it too as your train will rock as the other passes)...

Clearly, next time on the train he was TERRIFIED...

Thunder - sounds like rumbley trains.

Wheely bins sound like thunder.

Rain, when thunder happens its usually raining.

Hail, can happen in thunderstorms.

Fireworks, sound like thunder etc

Dark - all the above have happened in the dark

Fear of going to toilet in my garden, well that was present already along with a low level fear of the dark, as next doors gsd used to jump on his head and try to kill him whilst he was toiletting.... that dog is long dead but the new associations of fireworks, thunder, etc..... he wont toilet out there!

And so from one bad experience, the train, hes now fearful of many things - he IS predisposed to it i think. I also think being neutered young didnt help him much either but the main thing is he was exposed to a very scary thing right in his 8 month fear period. My fault entirely.

And yes - hes frightened of cameras that flash and now cameras that dont flash although hes getting a little better wtih that, the time i took him to a photo studio for photos to go with an article about him, he had to be pinned down as everytime the camera started up, he legged it.

I think the camera thing is getting better as we have a camera on hand most of the time and photos are taken most days of various things including him although not always him, and we make no big deal of it at all. Curing the other stuff isharder as i cannot predict fireworks, thunder, rain etc.

If its JUST cameras now, and fireworks, then you need to work hard to change the associations with these thigns to positive ones before she learns to generalise her fear to things 'like' fireworks and flashy cameras.

Em

fanks for that, it's not just flash cameras tho, she does it too with my mobile phone, no flash.. was wondering are dogs sensitive to infra red as a lot of cameras even mobiles use an IR beam for autofocus. Doesn't matter what treat i give her, she'll just panick on sight of camera/phone and run, even if it's not switched on, quite how a mobile phone and a camera have become associated as the same thing i'm not sure, my camera is normal camera size, my phone..tiny..even if i put it all on silent it doesn't help. it's very odd. If she was trying to nick it i think it'd be easier as it is she just runs away and hides in the smallest darkest place she can find, if there is nothing she hides behind your body and every time you turn she'll move around a bit more..it's kinda funny till you actually need a pic for stuff like rescue boards. i did get one pic outdoors, but she was still on lead, photo's like that never look as nice as a dog sat freely in a photo.

any kind of loud noise ans she's off too, right down to crisp packets..She's not generally scared of everyday life tho, she's great in the car, with other dogs, kids, people,cats..you name it she's good.oh and she hates the cold..hehe..can't say i blame her on that one..

forgot we did get one off lead, she was worn out from an hour of chasing stiks by this point

jesweb.jpg