UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh goodness - its not just me then!

Thats exactly what ive had, in the advert they've put "suitale for a novice" - when ive rung up theyve told me they nap, they wont hack on their own, they cant canter in the school, something along those line....so why put that its suitable for a novice when it cearly isnt? When I went to see Guinness, the owner told me her 9 year old daughter had been riding about on him with no problem. Well, unless the 9 year old happened to be over 5ft tall and was a professional rider im not sure how she wouldve coped :laugh: Ive been riding for 12 years and he was a LOT of horse to deal with.

Ive heard of a horse through word of mouth, who is stabled about 20 mins away from me. He's a chesnut 16hh 10yo TB called Sol. The current owner broke him as a 6 year old (late starter) with the hopes of eventing him but it was clear after a while he wasnt going to be successful in that sphere, so she's kept him for the last 3 years as a fun horse. She has had various people, mainly friends, riding him consistantly for the last year. She said he's taken a few people through their BHS exams recently and has a had beginners on him. The only problem she could mention was that hes got a scar on his chest from where he cut himself open on a tree in the field a few years ago. She said she's just really looking for him to go to a nice fun home where he can just relax and pop little jumps, do a bit of schooling/dressage, hack, and do some fun rides etc which is just what I want. Sounds really promising, just waiting to hear back from my riding instructor to see when she can come with me to see him!

Edited by cabbagepatch88

Bugger...

As blue's barn isn't allowed in the ménage at the moment and there is no turnout for the whole yard at the moment, decided to take him out for a little walk in hand down the lane tonight. He was absolutely fine, so when I got back I popped him in the empty stable whilst I mucked out. When I came to get him out of the stable, he was a bit clumsy with his feet but I thought nothing of it and walked him into his stable. He was absolutely dog lame on his right hind. I was in the barn the whole time and he did nothing stupid. Have put a bute in his tea tonight, but he didn't eat it. Am hoping he might just have a bit of cramp or something, as there was no swelling or heat, and hopefully he will be better tomorrow morning. If he's no better, think it'll be a vet job.

I hope that Blue continues to improve, and that they can all get turnout, soon.

I turned Merlyn out this morning with Bron - by 1pm the old devil was at the gate hammering hell out of it to come back in. :rolleyes: It's almost impossible for me to be around on the yard or gardening next to the field once he and Bron have finished the haylage.

I went with Colin and Jill today to check on their cob, Dan, and yearling filly, Beauty, who are turned out on a nearby farm. Both detached themselves from the others and came up to us, as if they knew which people were theirs and wanted whatever treats they'd brought for them. :laugh:

Doris and her foal are also turned out at the same place, and it is about 100 acres! Luckily they were with the others and I got a chance to have a good look at Doris. She's probably only about 14.3hh, so slightly smaller than Merlyn. Her foal is a big lad, and rather nice, too, even though I am not often attracted to a chestnut. He was showing off and trying to jump on his dam. Got the feeling that she will be glad to see the back of him soon. :wink: She's obviously done him well, and it's showing on her a bit now, and has lost a bit of ground and a fair bit of muscle tone, too, after having been used as a brood mare for quite a few years. She's a little long in the back, but has a good length of rein, and appears to be a nice natured mare, although shows a little white around one eye, which gives her a slighty odd look.

She is no oil painting, and her blaze is off-centre and runs down into one nostril and one side of her muzzle. She also has three white socks, but they are not too long, thank goodness. Her feet certainly need some attention - and they are quite large!

I have a slight reservation about her being up to my weight, especially in her present condition, and lacking muscle tone on her back/topline, and with her typically sagging 'brood mare belly'. However, I think that a couple of months without the foal pulling on her, some attention to her feet, supplimentary feeding, and with me doing some ground work with long-reins and possibly asking a lighter friend to ride her out to begin with, she could well suit me fine for my purpose. She doesn't look like a full Welsh cob, more a part bred. There's a bit of quality in her somewhere - possibly quarter TB or a bit less, although she does have plenty of bone.

It wouldn't be a quick job to get her back to working under saddle, though. I didn't get much opportunity to see her moving, even in walk, and to do that justice, she really needs some attention to her feet first. Her conformation is such that she's not likely to be as bouncy a ride as Merlyn, though, or to be as strong and powerful behind the saddle, due to him being so short backed and compact.

IF I do have her, I'd feel happier if I could lose at least a couple of stones - and she'd probaly be happier about that, too!

I hope Blue is feeling better soon!

We went to look at a cob today, the lady wanting a new horse would not consider him, says he looks like a pig, that's because he has a lovely cob face! So as we were going rug shopping in the area we popped in to see him and he's just brilliant! Lady bought him in February and has now decided keeping a horse is not for her so he has to move on. He's 16hh, a chunky skewbald with a lovely, friendly nature, very much in the rough, (filthy) not been ridden much over the past week as owner has flu and is still feeling quite ill so pretty much left us to it. He was quite nicely forward, swings through his shoulders and bum, not much schooling but does what is asked and tries really hard even if he doesn't quite understand what is wanted, has 3 basic paces in place though. Bombproof in traffic and is seen on the yard as a dope on a rope but he certainly isn't, he's 'ridden' by everyone and anyone who fancies a pop on him. He was wearing a saddle which did not fit him at all, he has hollows behind his withers were it's put pressure on him but surprisingly he was not sore. With some work and window dressing he could be turned into a show cob and would be a real head turner! If we can't persuade her to have a look I'm just so tempted to buy him as a project and get him in the show ring next year! Wanda has already offered to lend him some rugs!

Watch this space! :biggrin:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! She fell madly in love with him at first sight, felt really safe riding him and has bought him subject to vetting. Vet on Wednesday and Charlie will be coming home on Thursday. :elefant: :elefant:

Cross everything for the vetting please.

Fantastic news :flowers: Fingers crossed for Wednesday!

P.S Photos too please!

It looks as if things on the horse buying front are progressing well for some here. Fingers crossed for the vetting.

I was talking with the friend who has bought Doris's colt, and she now has her stable ready for him, and is anticipating his arrival this next weekend. I think Doris will be very glad to be rid of him, as he's a big lump of a foal, and getting quite above himself! :laugh:

Merlyn behaved disgracefully yesterday when I took him out. First of all, they had been cutting the undergrowth going down the narrow path near our gate and onto a river bridge. There were leaves... nasty green ones... on the path and he refused to tread on them or go anywhere near them, and really played me up. It's not a nice place to have half a ton of horse having a hissy fit under one if one is fit, but I am still feeling the effects of a torn chest muscle, even without the usual back problem, and no way would he go forward - and I wasn't about to let him run backwards. In the end, and for safely sake before we both either ended up in the river or caught up on the railings, I dismounted, and the old barsteward followed me over the leaves and the bridge like an old dog! I could have brained him! I then had to find a handy rock to stand on and use as a mounting block to get back in the saddle. The swine knew exactly what I wanted to do, and kept assuming a good position, then spinning his quarters around just as I was about to get my foot in the stirrup. Finally made it back on him, but was by then holding my ribs and really not feeling like riding at all, other than that I couldn't afford to let him get away with that and go home! He set out up the track in a sideways jog and with his back up, and the last thing I felt like was being treated to any of his bucks! Ended up sending him on into a trot and thinking that, unfit as he is, he might soon be glad to come back to a walk! When he finally did, it was a sudden trot to halt transition as we rounded a bend... and then an attempt to spin around. All he'd seen was a couple with a pushchair, and going in the same direction as us some distance ahead. Finally persuaded him to walk on, so we then followed the couple, and with him snorting and and making grumbling noises, and with me having to hold him on a short rein and really use my legs and seat, so as not to give him an opportunity to perform one of hims infamous 180 degree spins... so he grumbled, snorted, and decided to jog again and drip with sweat! At the next possible uphill turn, we left the couple with the pushchair, and despite the very rough, stony ground, Merlyn still insisted on jogging. When we reached the next junction, I decided to head back towards the stables via a path that goes uphill, and then back down to swing around and join the track alongside the river. M was still jogging and messing around, so I made him trot all the way up the hill, hoping he'd be tired before we reached the downhill stretch - he wasn't, and my ribs were really hurting by then! (And I am sure he knew it!) He jogged downhill, and would have trotted on had I let him!

So much for trying to walk the last half mile home to bring in a cool, dry horse! When we got back to the leaf-strewn bridge, he didn't hesitate to charge across, as if aware that he was due a feed... but I made him wait until he'd cooled down first, and he was none too happy about that, banging hell out of the stable door until I relented and thought he might cool down sooner if he had a haynet to nibble.

If he's going to keep on behaving like this, he'll be chucked out in the field for a few hours before he's ridden, and have his haylage rations cut!

If there's anyone living near me who wants a rather lively old horse to exercise, DO get in touch! (That is a SERIOUS offer, btw, but you would need to be fit and fairly experienced.)

Edited by AlTRPD

Oh norty Merlyn, but seriously there be horse eating monsters lurking under leaves and disguised as babies in prams! He sounds well on form though, that was an exciting ride, pity about your muscle, it must be hard to cope with him being a pratt when you are in pain. Can you not strap it at all or even a tight T shirt may help.

STILL no blood result for Wanda, they are back but vet who did them wasn't in so I asked for another vet to call me with the results and got nothing. I'm back on to them today and I want action! Wanda is being an absolute moo, she has badly bitten Kim's neck and was double barelling anyone who came near the 6 piles of haylage which she said were all hers. Then she spent about an hour trotting round the field with her head up and her tail across her back, snorting wildly. I was advised to give her Aloe Vera and I think it's gone to her head big style! :wacko: