UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Then someone offered an 18hh Clydesdale, :wacko:

Ooh snap him up :biggrin:

What a horrible livery AITRPD :mad: I thought her husband sounded better than that. I would definately be changing the locks too :flowers:

Fingers crossed your potential horse is as nice as she sounds :wub:

I have my times for Sunday 9.21 :ohmy: 11.26 and 12.06 and am now feeling very sick :laugh: The class is full so a bit of a wait between dressage and sj but will give me chance to watch my friend in the class before.

May I suggest you just take a few deep breaths and try to relax and just enjoy the event. That's what I used to do when competing with my old Connemara stallion in the days when I was up to competing. :wink: If he was enjoying himself, then I'd nothing to worry about, and worrying achieved nothing anyway, apart from causing me stress and tension, which is the very last thing anyone needs for a competition. :laugh:

My hay couldn't be delivered until tomorrow morning at some ungodly hour, so decided to leave both Merlyn and Bron out tonight, especially as it's supposed to be dry. I did net up the very last scrapings of remaining hay and hang it in the field, but both turned their noses up at it, so gave them extra chaff in their feeds. Merlyn didn't think much of that, but Bron did her ususal hoovering up in his bucket.

Talking of unsuitable horse offers, I have been offered another mare on loan. From the photo, I can tell that, even at 14.2hh she would probably be up to my weight, but not so sure I'd be up to keeping her rather large, common head up off the ground! Although with a very short, thickset neck and little or no flexion, a straight shoulder, and very upright pasterns, I don't aim to even try her, and however quiet and 'suitable for a disabled rider' her owner believes her to be.

Actually, she does sound to have a nice, sensible nature, and might well be ideal for doing RDA work with novices who want more of the experience of being on a pony's back when being lead around and supported by helpers.

It's quite amazing how differently people seem to interpret a rider's requirements, isn't it? How they can seem to make assumptions or jump to conclusions when given a few simple facts. :unsure:

For example, if one says one is looking for a forward going horse, some seem to assume one means one that's keyed up and raring to take off at the slightest excuse! To me, it just means that I don't want something bone idle and that has to be driven forward just to get its feet moving and head off the ground! I like a horse that comes together nicely between hand and leg, knows how to engage its quarters and is light on the forehand... Oh, if only that old event mare wasn't so darned tall! :laugh: My goddaughter - a fit and healthy 22 years old - rode her yesterday and emailed to say that she could hardly believe how light and supple she felt under her, and considering the mare is 19 years old. (GD had her doing flying changes in a collected canter when playing around and bending through a patch of thistles.) I can't help but wonder what she'd make of 24 yo Merlyn under her when he does his 'flying changes of direction' as in 180 degree spins to escape the rock monsters and ditch dwelling trolls? :laugh: Been too ill with a chest infection to feel up to riding him the last few days, but he's had time out in the fields, which I doubt he's minded. He won't mind me having lost almost half a stone this last week and with this infection, though!

Anyway, I hope those who are horse hunting and competing this weekend have lots of success. I shall be thinking of you all and looking forward to reading the updates next week. :biggrin:

Just been told one of the horses we were going to look at on Sunday has been sold, so not sure if we're going to trek all the way to Kent just to see one. On the bright side have seen a 15.1hh grey connemara advertised in my area who looks nice so may well ring about him this evening.

Will keep you posted!!

Sam

Oooow, another over-height Connemara. Must let Merlyn know he is not alone! :laugh:

From my many years experience with the breed, they are incredibly versatile, and many are exceptional, natural jumpers. They certainly are not all like my old, pain in the rear, rogue of a character.

Hope you're feeling better now AITRPD :flowers:

Did you call about the Connie Sam? Hope you managed to look at some horses this weekend.

Phew what a busy weekend, I was up at 6am yeterday and then 5am today blinkin horses :rolleyes:

Off we trundled this morning to the ODE. Dressage went ok-ish it was quite a spooky arena in a school with a judges box at the end and also along the side, and he was a bit of a spooky bleeder, it definately wasn't one of our best, so was pleased to get 34.1 (which confused OH as he thought I had got 34% when he went off to check scores :laugh: ) That left us around 4th place.

Then it started to rain and the warm up for SJ was very slippery and Loki was being a bit of a monster spooking bouncing and getting very strong, so went into SJ not exactly happy, I managed to contain him enough to get over the first 5 fences but the next fence was along a fence line, he was so busy spooking a pile of soil he didn't even see the fence to the last minute and all he could do was skid into the fence. So represented and carried on okay, got in deep to the last and had that too, so 8 faults not too bad in all.

I now had a bit of a crisis of confidence about taking him xc as although it had stopped raining the ground was slippery and given his attitude in the sj I wasn't sure it was safe to take him. Anyway gave myself a talking to and decided it he took off with me then I would do the whole course in trot :D

Actually I think the dressage and sj had taken the edge off him and he warmed up nicely, and by the time we were counted down in the start box the blood started pumping and we flew all the way round he really does feel special xc, was so pleased with him and forgave him dr and sj antics :wub:

Left my friend to collect my score sheet and made our way home, I really did think she was winding me up when she called to say we had won :ohmy: Apparently we were only 2 secs outside the time and no one else got close to it.

So so proud of him and excited about if he can stay out of trouble what a winter of dressage and sj schooling will bring for next season. Just keeping everything crossed he is okay in the morning, no obvious problems at the moment he has had the massage pad on tonight and I have plastered his legs in arnica and witchazel gel!

Hoping to get a nice pic when the photographer puts them online!

And my news is that Wanda is ill, I've not been happy with her for a while but have been persuaded I was just being a fussy mum. She was just so lethargic and fell asleep all over the place so in the end I got the vet out and had her blood tested, it came back with raised muscle enzymes and low white cell count so she has a virus AGAIN! I'm going to investigate her immune system because I think this is why she has these problems, just how I'm going to do it I don't know yet but there must be something I can do.

Poor little Banner had a panic attack tonight, she seriously hyperventilated. I was bringing her out of the field when Monty shetland came up behind her, he was not rampant or anything but he was near her bum. I think she thought he was going to molest her, the previous owner left her in with a yearling colt for weeks on end and it constantly served her, in season or not. As he was much bigger than Banner he literally stood on all 4 feet over her when he was doing the business and she could not get away from him. It took ages to calm her down, she was dripping sweat and panting like she was going to expire. I was seriously worried for a time that she would have a heart attack from the stress, was just about to call the vet when she began to improve, phew, it was a horrible couple of hours.

Edited by Pendlewitch

Congratulations, Clare. :flowers: How exciting and I am so pleased for you. Watched Burley on TV today and thought of you... enviously! :biggrin:

So sorry to hear about Wanda and poor little Banner. Hope that you can get to the bottom of Wanda's health issues soon.

I'm going around feeling as if I've been booted in the ribs, thanks to some severe back spasms over the last few days, but think the steroids are slowly kicking in now. Itching to get back on a horse, although I doubt Merlyn minds loafing around in the field eating his head off - when greedy little Bron lets him! :rolleyes:

Supposed to be getting the shafts off her cart tomorrow, so that they can be altered, but think I may need to re-measure them on her! Darned sure she's gained weight! Of course, at only four years old, she could still be maturing and filling out, especially in the shoulder region. I don't think she's got much more height to gain, as she looks fairly level now, but will put the measuring stick on her next time I bring her into the stable, as a couple of friends seem to think she's now more than the 12.2hh I measured her at last time.

Sue, a friend who used to ride Merlyn, came to see them this afternoon, bearing apples. She thought the old horse was looking particularly well considering his age - in fact, she said he didn't look anything like his age. Was able to tell her that he still doesn't act it, either! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Heard today that the mare I might be having will be coming in at the end of September for her foal to be weaned. I'll be able to have a good look at her then and perhaps try her under saddle.

Was offered yet another on loan this evening, and for the winter. Very nice, but young and green, four years old Highland mare of 14.2hh. Felt tempted, as goddaughter has broken her to ride and says she's very sensible natured and easy in the stable etc. She's not seen much traffic, though. I'm aiming to wait and see what this 14 yo mare is like before making a decision, as I'd rather buy than borrow a youngster. Especially one with lots of potential and a career ahead of her. I'd hate to mess up a youngster, and am under no illusions as to being able to properly school or bring on a baby these days.

How are the other horse hunts going? Any news yet?

Edited by AlTRPD

Well done Claire!!! That is fantastic!!

Hugs to Wanda and Banner.

We are still in quarantine on our farm, but after one of the horses nearly killing it's owner the other day they have said we can have 30 mins a day in one of the fields. Put blue out there on Saturday night and he went mental!!! He was galloping around, bucking etc. I stayed with him till he calmed down and started munching grass, then I went to muck out. By the time I brought him in 30 mins later, he was dripping with sweat as he had obviously been tanking round like a goon whilst I wasn't there. Yesterday his legs were a bit swollen, hopefully that has gone down now though, am off to farm in a min.

Thanks Sarah :flowers: I really miss him - it feels really bizarre not having a horse to look after now. And ive put on nearly half a stone since I havnt been riding!!!!

I called about the Connie on Friday night and he was already sold - Im amazed at how fast horses disappear bearing in mind we're in a recession!

We were supposed to be seeing the TB x ID on Sunday, but April got a call early Sunday morning to say her father in law had been taken ill and she had to run the family down to Dorset so obviously we couldnt go. However we have re-arranged to go on Thursday and our riding instructor can come with us this time so im hopeful she will give us a better opinion of the horse than I would!! All the horses ive had before have been shared or loaned so ive never had to really seriously look at them and although I think ive got a pretty good eye for horses im sure theres something id miss.

The lady selling the horse doesnt really want to get rid of him, shes got a bad back and can no longer ride. When I rang her and had a chat she even admitted to me she hadnt been returning peoples calls because she doesnt want to let go of him - but I think she took a shine to me because I told her about Earl and we had a long chat about what nice horses TB X ID's are :laugh: Here he is:

Guinness

WELL DONE CLAIRE AND LOKI :flowers: Fantastic news. I was thinking of you on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about Wanda and Banner, hopefully Wanda can be fixed :GroupHug:

Guiness looks quite promising, but hard to get a good idea of his conformation from the angle of the photo. I do wish people would upload good profile shots, don't you? Fingers crossed for you with him. :)

Talking of profiles, from Bron's one would never think her as broad as she is, and after removing the shafts from her cart to have those widened, it was a good job I checked by just how much! Before I thought 3" - 4" - in reality, they need 6" extra width now! :ohmy: Such a pity she is only 12.2hh! My friend with the old mare for sale calls Bron a proper little pit-hoss! Have to agree thta, not so long ago, she'd have been down the mines pulling a coal dram! Anyway, shafts have gone off the be sorted, and I should get them back in a couple of days. Fingers crossed Bron's not further expanded by then. Indeed, she might even trim down a bit once I can get her out in the cart and doing some work! I'll be looking for a tipper/tipping cart for her in due course, and to collect firewood with and deliver horse manure. If my car fails the MOT in a couple of months, I'll be tempted to go to one pony power!

Got fed up of referring to that old mare as 'the old mare', so told her owner that, if he didn't give her a name, I'd be calling her 'Doris'. "Aye, that'll do," he said, "her name's Doris." :laugh:

Perhaps her passport will say different and prove an improvement on that?

Horse hunting at this end is not going so well, sadly the buyer's ability does not match the type of horse she thinks is perfect. Last thing she needs is another disaster!

Guiness looks good, hope he turns out well.

Now YO's Kim is ill, she is anaemic and her red/white blood counts are odd, don't know what on earth is going on with them, must be the weather. Vet was amazed when Kim calmly fell asleep while he was talking to YO!