UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Good luck with your search, keep us posted we do like a good horse hunt :flowers:

Off for a jumping lesson on grass this afternoon a bit of sj and xc hastily scheduled in after the disasterous xc schooling a few weeks ago :laugh: A friend is putting him out this morning and its my first morning off in months, so why was I awake at 8am :wacko:

Things are bound to feel a little strange and surreal for a little while, and after your experience, and you are bound to miss Earl, but it does help to get out and ride, and maintain associations with others on the yard. It took me a while after losing Mog, and also my old stallion, and on both those occasions, it was anticipated, rather than sudden and unexpected, which can be much more of a shock. :GroupHug:

It sounds as if you have supportive friends at the yard, and I wish you every success finding somethings suitable to share with Rhia.

The sun is shining here today, and someone had already fed and turned Merlyn out with the ponies by the time I struggled down to the yard, coughing and wheezing from the cold that has now gone to my chest.

There is a horse fair not far from here today, and I'd love to go, if only to try and sell a surplus little synthetic 'Cub' saddle and to try to pick up a pair of dark, practical jods to fit me, and that are NOT these fashionable, dual or multi-coloured ones with extra, uncomfortable seams. :rolleyes: Somehow, I don't think I'm up to going.

:laugh: Norty Bumble and Annie, sounds like they enjoyed their adventure though :wub:

Hope the cold is better today, I know its easy to say but try and take is easy and let it run its course :flowers:

Both horses sound lovely, look forward to hearing how you get on :flowers: Are they local? I might be able to find out some inside info if they are.

Confidence is a funny thing, I was really quite nervous about jumping yesterday after the last two times doing xc it has felt more luck than judgement that we came back in one piece, with his charging off and throwing himself over fences, I didn't realise how it had eaten into my confidence but as the day went on the more nervous I became :rolleyes:

Once onboard though he felt much more chilled than the last few times and sure enough he was back being very bold and keen but just about listening enough for me to feel a bit safer. He jumped everything first time including dreaded ditches and quite a big drop with no drama and am now looking forward to our event on Sunday :biggrin:

Does anyone want to play guess the amount of SJ faults we will get game, I think we could be looking at a cricket score as we still struggle with balence and the arena is apparantly notorious for being difficult as small and on quite a slope so don't worry about offending with the guess! I will start with my guess of 20 faults, SJ training is our winter work :laugh:

No theyre not local, theyre in Kent :wacko: Rhias mum found the 17hh one advertised and said she wanted to go and see him so then we decided to find another one in Kent to go and see on the same day to make the trip a bit more economical!!

Good Luck with your event on Sunday Clare. Where is it? In years to come id love to do some horsey events. At the moment im pretty serious with my Agility with dogs and compete most weekends but if that ever fizzles out I'll definately try a few horsey competitions! Are you doing the Minley Fun Ride? Think thats on soonish...

Lol I found when horse hunting that horses always seemed to be in Kent :laugh: Good idea to get as many lined up as possible.

We're off to a one day event at Rosehill :happystrange: Haven't heard of Minley is that nearby? Although have to admit I am not a fan of funrides, the last few I did (well before Loki) were not fun with the mad people that seem attracted to going to them!

Such sad news about earl and Archie. Run free boys xx

Everyone has been busy whilst I've been away!!

Hope the horse hunt goes ok and you find yourself a perfect match.

As I just mentioned, have been away for a couple of weeks and came back to discover blue's next door neighbour has strangles. The vet initially thought it was just an abscess, and lanced it at the vet hospital, however when the swab was analysed, it showed strangles . Goodness knows where it came from as the pony in question hasn't left the farm for 8 months as she has had lami and cushings. We have had several newbies move on to the farm, so whether one of those has been a carrier, we'll never know. We are all in quarantine now, not allowed to turn out, use the school or hack anywhere. We are all stinking of jeyes fluid and antiseptic too!! The vet is coming to the farm today, hopefully they will be pleased with how she is doing, as she is such a lovely pony and her owners are such lovely people!!

Poor pony with strangles, it's a horrible disease, hope he feels better soon.

We went to look at a horse tonight with Archie's mum, nice enough sort but went more than a bit close behind, was totally unfit and apparently was out of work! Surely if you are selling a horse then it should be up and running, not fat and sluggish! More of a teenager's moving off ponies sort really so we said no.

Then someone offered an 18hh Clydesdale, :wacko: the next is bound to be a shetland!

Well, I know for a ride and drive mini Shetland, if that will break the 'three' thing and mean the next one will be a perfect match for Archie's mum...

A friend was doing my two for me this morning, and when I got down the yard just after lunch, it was to find my livery had gone. Whisked away when they knew I'd not be around, it seems. They had cleaned the stable out. Just as well, as the yard broom and most of my breaking tack also appears to have been whisked away, too, along with what they had borrowed from the neighbouring yard and another friend - and they still have a set of keys for the yard gates and buildings, not to mention an outstanding livery bill. :rolleyes: Took the liberty of heading to B & Q for some new padlocks for the buildings...

That's the last time I ever feel sorry for anyone and allow them room on my yard unless they happen to have a pony/horse belonging to me on a shared loan!

Ethan's little lead-rein pony went to her new home today, too, and had unfortunately managed to break a large piece out of one hoof first, making her slightly lame. That meant I've had to bring Bron in, as I don't think she'd stay out in the fields on her own without trying something on. :unsure:

Hoping to see that possible new horse for me soon. Her owner weaned one of his foals today - the eldest one and born last February. The mare I'm going to look at is the dam of the next eldest foal, and that's also been sold and will be weaned soon, as born in March. I've seen some recent photos of the mare, who looks like a liver chestnut in the pictures, but whom I thought was supposed to be a dark bay. :laugh: Time will tell, but she doesn't have a name, it seems. The owner is a bit of a character, so goodness knows what he called her on her passport! He claims he can't remember names, but I know he has a black mare called Bessie; another black named Maggie; and old fashioned bay cob mare called Gracie - whom I quite like and nearly bought a couple of years ago, but decided not to as she was in foal.

The unnamed one is not the prettiest of cobs. In fact, she is a bit on the plain side, but as long as she'll come together and prove a comfortable, free-walking hack, I'll be happy enough as that is all I'm looking for.

I am fed up with being offered totally unsuitable (for me) horses, whether on loan or to buy, and, although not yet an 18hh Clydesdale, I was offered a 16.2hh ex-event mare, now in her teens, who is, apparently a really nice, well mannered ride and is still capable of doing an excellent RC dressage test! (She should be, as she's been around Badminton (or was it Burley?) Either way, what good is that when I struggle to mount 15hh these days, and then have to duck to barely scrape under various tree branches at regular intervals, at that just to plod around our local woodland rides? Then there was the four years old Welsh cob stallion I was offered on loan for the winter... Yes, okay, he has been backed but I reckon I am far too long in the tooth and creaky-jointed to want to ride him away or bring him on, however nice natured he might be, and despite his 'potential'! :laugh:

At least no-one is likely to offer me a Shetland pony, unless in jest...

Mind you, I am still having a recurring dream (or is it a nightmare?) about being offered a grey (think yellowish-cum-off-white) cob mare with a mane that can only be described as resembling 2 ft long dreadlocks! It has the stance and carriage of an Andalusian, which might sound promising, until one spots its glowing red eyes, and starts wracking one's aged brain to try and recall the name of the horror movie, where the original apparition must have stemmed from! :laugh:

Edited by AlTRPD

Wow it seems everyone is busy, and im not the only one on a horse hunt!

Id love a shetland :laugh:

I know the young horse we're seeing at the weekend will be completely unsuitable, ive got more hopes for the black id x tb. This is the first time ive ever done horse hunting so the aim is to go and see as many horses as possible within reasonable disatance and within budget to see whats 'out there' and hopefully maybe at some point I'll find one.

I still get kept awake at night thinking of poor Earl and his horrible accident. I really miss him, he was such a kind gentle horse. I think I will be hard pushed to find another. Im seeing his 'real' mum for the first time tonight since it happened so im sure we'll do some reminissing. I also need to ask her what she intends to do the with the enormous mass of Earls stuff, which is currently in my garage. I think at last count there were about 15 rugs and all his accessories...food bins...buckets... :wacko: