UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

That is fascinating Clare - and it sounds as if it has paid dividends.

Glad that you had some nice hacks - I just wish I had the guts to hack out on my own - I am confied to base when no one else is riding.

Good luck for the dressage _ I have a feeling that he will be a little star!

:( mason has gone back to dealers today so i heard - was at uni today :angry: didnt even know he was going - he was cool. hope he gets a good home :unsure: understand why as he wouldnt have been good for customers but could have tried for a bit longer with him. he was really good in the school the other day, oh well.

had first lesson in ages last fri (cant remember if posted about it or not) was really good. The instructor is a dressage rider and my last instructor was a showjumper and its quite a different method of riding. This instructor focuses on using legs and seat as aids, turning using shoulders to shift weight in seat bones etc, its quite different to how i ride but i think its a better way. She got on one of the horses to show us how its done at one point and she is just amazing. She has taken 2 of the former trekking horses from the stables and turned them both into dressage horses - one (solo - colored cob) won championships last week. So hopefully will improve my riding any how.

good to hear about loki clare. Really interesting about the reiki.

well done rolo what a brave boy with the clippers :flowers:

Ran through the dressage test in my lesson last night, oh dear is all I can say :laugh: Having never ridden him in a 20 x 40 before it came as a bit of a shock, he is a biiiig horse to keep in balence! It wasn't too bad until he spotted some horses leaving the yard for a hack, and he turned his full attention on watching them hack down the drive, I got tense, he got tense and it went down hill from there :rolleyes:

I have booked our first jumping lesson for two weeks time :biggrin: Well it will be more pole and wings lesson but it is a start, he is getting freezmarked next Tuesday so will be having more time off, I do hope it all goes to plan for once :unsure:

Sorry to hear about Mason, I hope he find a good home :flowers:

Well done Bradders and Rolo, all that patience is starting to pay off!

I have employed someone to plait Loki on Sunday, as my practise attempt was so awful, and I gave up half way along, he has a terrible mane, very thick and falls on both sides, I am very tempted to hog it and start again :rolleyes:

Reiki lady coming back to see him on Friday :biggrin:

Clare I'm sure you'll do great, we want pickies of course!!!

Very impressed wth Rolo, he's starting to go from strengh to strength.

I've had my usual quiet week, after being a total star for the farrier last week trigger has just had his teeth done today, I was late getting there as I gto back ended by another car ona round about, luckily no damage done. He was a compete get, rearing full height. He did settle down eventually, but needs more work doing in 6 months. Kai has still been out of work with her sore back and leg. My riding instructor came out with her deep masage machine, what a difference, she is so flexible and working well on the bit. Trigger was also bathed at the weekend and again was rearing up and trying to kick us, little charmer!!

Hopefully Kai and I are off to a hunter trials training day on saturday. I have to go and sort out a photographer for the wedding in the morning, so I'll be dashing back to get her there for the afternoon. The box is broke at the moment, the partitions that are right next to the door were painted at the weekend, caught the wind and ripped the wood and bent the hinges so that needs fixing first. But we will make it!!

Phew my order from Frogpool has just turned up, it was most of the stuff I will need for Sunday and I was beginning to panic it wasn't going to get here on time :ohmy: So now I have a new shirt, stock, silk for my hat and a bridle number, my shopping got a bit out of hand :laugh: Only thing I have forgotten is a stock pin.

Weather is supposed to be awful on Sunday, my time is 9.21 so a nice early start, my friend has kindly agreed to get there for 7.30 to plait him, hope it doesn't rain too much for photos :biggrin:

He has been a bit spooky the last few days since the weather changed so it could get interesting :laugh:

I sold my last horse about 18 months ago before I bought Loki, and have kept in touch with the lady that took her on, I am going to see them both on Saturday as they are coming for the XC clinic that is being held!

Hope all has gone to plan and you are off to the hunter trails tomorrow Millesmum :flowers:

Trigger sounds a real Pickle :wub:

Edited by Clare

Oooh good luck with the dressage Clare, new stuff sound very posh! Wanda is competing tomorrow but as my knee is still duff my niece is riding her, she's never done dressage before and is having kittens already. I'm reading the test for her as it won't stay in her brain at the moment, I know the feeling well! :biggrin:

Hello to Kane and Rolo, arn't we due some pictures?

How did it go Clare? Did you get any pictures? Gook luck Pendlewitch for tonmorrow!!

I took Kai to hunter trials training day today. The plan was mainly get her out and about and seeing stuff rather than taking her round. The last show she went to was the only one she has ever been to. She spent the whole time verticle, ever time I tried to get her away from Minski. So this time she went on her own. She was a star, it was very busy, loads of boxes and horses and ponies zooming arround. She was very tense when I got on her, she wasn't the only one, the look on my face on the picture is priceless!, but there was loads of space so I just road her in a quiet corner. She went into the busy area by the stands and had ponies and horses all over. She stood while we waited for her turn the the clear round, she did threaten to go up so I just kept spinning her when she did. I'm still feeling dizzy now :rolleyes:

We had the fences tiny and explained that she has never jumped coloureds or a course. She got a big chear over every fence, had a great time. She did refuse at 1 but that was my fault. The smallest of the x country fences were tiny and would have been perfect for her but she had to go over a wooden bridge with running water under it, she didn't want to go over, and she had been so good we brought her home. One very proud Mum! :biggrin: :biggrin: So next thing is to find some water to go and play in it.

Niece (Kate), was nervous enough and then she saw this:

myerscough.jpg

I forgot just how impressive the international arena is, tee hee! :biggrin:

She did really well though, she just lost it in the next to last movment and got a not performed score, otherwise she would have been about halfway up the board which isn't at all bad for her first go! :flowers: The judge's comments were as usual for Wanda, although the test was accurate her lack of engagement, not working over her back, lack of bend, etc etc lost her points.

Sam (YO) took asbo boy Obe who was a monster in the first test, better in the second, a few bucks here and there but then just as he passed the judge's car he threw the most HUMUNGUS buck and did a buggeroff! How on earth Sam stayed in the plate I don't know, an almightly gasp ran round the arena but she had him in a second and he was back in and finished the test. When she came out everyone she passed was saying 'well sat, well sat', she said she felt like royalty and should be bowing the the left and right! :biggrin: Even when he is being as the judge put on the score sheet, 'a bit naughty' he has such charisma, once he settles he will go far I'm sure.

I have to admit that dressage is not one of Wanda's favourite things, she thinks it's a competition to see how long and donkeylike she can be! She is basically very lazy unless jumping but because she walks, trots and canters she sort of hides her laziness. We are on the case, a wakeup call is going to sound in her stable! :biggrin:

Edited by Pendlewitch

WOW that arena is huge!!!

i wonder if any one knows much about vaccine reactions? We have a 16ish yr old dartmoor pony at work who has been poorly the past few days. She has been on limited grazing as she is prone to laminitis but this has caused her to drop weight - she also has a pollen allergy. On sat she came in shivering so popped her in with rug to keep her warm and she kept lying down, getting up, lying down again etc and she didnt eat all her breakfast. She perked up a bit at end of day and went out in normal field (partly because she has 3 friends which would not have settled it she wasnt there). She came in today and didnt eat her breakfast so took her walk and wouldnt eat grass. The vet came and couldnt find much wrong but took blood tests which they would have the results of by now.

Anyhow - all the horses had their prevac on thurs and I just wonder if it is a coincidence that she become ill since then or could it be a reaction to the vaccination?

I wasnt there when the vet was so dont know if he considered this (am sure he will have done) but do horses get bad reactions to vaccs like say dogs sometimes do?

hope everyone else had a good weekend with their horseysx

My Icelandic reacted badly to her Equine flu jab a few years ago, she had a huge swelling at the injection site which took 2 years to disappear and she was also quite ill, pretty much as your describe your girlie.

I no longer vaccinate for flu as routine. as Nott was the second horse I have had who reacted to the vaccine, I do however vaccinate for tetanus.