UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Recall

emma

Im having a problem with my dogs recall i have 2 dogs lucky is 8 & amber is 2

, but I do not know where I am going wrong , really , coz when I go for a walk I always take really good treats ( meat . fish ect ) & the treats are always have a different treat from yesterdays treats , also when I go for a walk I take there fav toy which they only get when they go for walks . I also for the last 4 months I have been helping out at the local dog training club & have been watching all 7 of the classes , I have also asked the trainer what do to & she says to have good treats with you & have a toys with you which they only get on walks that’s , but what I do anyway

When I let lucky off at the park we will run off & find the near long grass & eat it & roll in it if I call her she will not listen at all , if I leave her to eat grass ect she will run off & run to the big pond in the middle of the golf course luckys not that inserted in treats or a toy , she loves !! Water & chasing things to much , the recall got so bad that if I take them out I keep lucky on a long line , lucky will not came for treats ect but if a male does a deep voice she will come running , but I would like to let lucky off with out having to have my dad around to get her back but if there is rabbits around she will not listen to my dad ,

Amber is better with recall then lucky she loves her toy when she goes for walks but amber seems to be fine & following you then suddly she will get the smell of something in the air & run off , she not as nuts on wildlife as lucky is , if there are rabbits ect around she will run after them also thro but if there is birds she not that bothered normally but saying the first time we let amber off near water she run into the water & swim after some birds but she when to the middle of the river & could not get back so mum had to go in after her ,

I would love to be apply to let the dogs off coz there some brill places for dog walking where I live but the dogs are only let off at the only park or the race course where its mostly enclosed

We now have a kitten who we have had for 3 weeks & amber is fine with & lucky is also with , so I would of through that they would be fine with wildlife , if they can get used to a cat ,

I know that goldens love water & chasing things but is there any way of over coming that

anyone got any advice or ideas on how do get a better recall ?

thanks

emma

Have you taught your dogs that the recall with the same treats/words/signals in the house is wonderfully rewarding - ie. get them in the habit of responding where there are not other temptations? Theory anyway... good luck!

my pointer wont come back if he is following his nose but then i dont try to call him because i know he wont listen. if i call him and call him it basiclaly teaches him that he can ignore me. wait until your dogs look at you before you call them then you will have a much better chance of getting a responce. also, you say you have food and toys, do you just give them the toy when they come or do you wave it around? also try silly dancing and jumping around and make high pitched noises. you will look like a prat but who cares. also, please use full stops and commas in your posts, its really hard to read them without.

I would suggest to work on the recall with the dogs individually. Take them out for walks separately and work on a long line! It is impossible to train two dogs at the same time (unless they are very experienced). Then go back to basics with the recall. Only once the recall works well individually, take them out together again.

Vera