London

SW1P 3JR

Ben Bradshaw, MP

Defra

Nobel House

17 Smith Square

London

SW1P 3JR

'welcomes the Government's inquiry into the slaughter and potential health and environmental hazards this may cause; and calls on the British Greyhound Racing Board to investigate this matter'

So is there to be a government inquiry over and above that of the Environment Agency which will be looking at potential groundwater contamination - which amounts to the health and environmental hazard bit? People seem to be calling for one but I can't find out whether there actually is to be one :unsure:

And I'd rather see an independent inquiry than BGRB undertake their own :(

Don't know if there is to be one, but if there is, it's well worth asking those that have signed the EDM to consider not just the environmental effects but the welfare/ban/whatever is is you want as well.

They say

"and calls on the British Greyhound Racing Board to investigate this matter and to invest more money into promoting and providing retirement homes for greyhounds "

so the seeds are planted IMO, it's up to us [as in the public] to ensure they don't forget to do anything.

Guest Guest

'welcomes the Government's inquiry into the slaughter and potential health and environmental hazards this may cause; and calls on the British Greyhound Racing Board to investigate this matter'

So is there to be a government inquiry over and above that of the Environment Agency which will be looking at potential groundwater contamination - which amounts to the health and environmental hazard bit? People seem to be calling for one but I can't find out whether there actually is to be one :unsure:

And I'd rather see an independent inquiry than BGRB undertake their own :(

I find the EDM confusing. Are they saying that the government should investigate the environmental problems whilst the BGRB should conduct their own investigation into the issues relating to greyhound racing?

If so then personally I'm not happy with that. Surely the government realise by by now that the industry can't be trusted to do right by the dogs?

I find the EDM confusing. Are they saying that the government should investigate the environmental problems whilst the BGRB should conduct their own investigation into the issues relating to greyhound racing?

If so then personally I'm not happy with that. Surely the government realise by by now that the industry can't be trusted to do right by the dogs?

The Environment Agency (EA website) is the only agency reported to be undertaking an inquiry into this and their juristiction is merely environmental hazards, ground water and steams and river pollution, etc.

"We are the leading public body for protecting and improving the environment in England and Wales. It's our job to make sure that air, land and water are looked after by everyone in today's society, so that tomorrow's generations inherit a cleaner, healthier world."

Sir John Harman, Chairman.

That is not the same as a government inquiry, and that's why I asked the question :unsure: It seems to me that EDM doen't go far enough, is a bit pointless and is a missed opportunity if that is the case but no-one on here seems to know of any other inquiry...