UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kelly

reds

Dumped in a bin bag at 4 weeks old Kelly was the bravest soldier I have ever ever ever known. She was my spirit, one of my girls. At about 9 years old she was diagnosed with Cushings Disease and 2 years later she died from metatastic lung cancer. She didn't die though, she squeezed every last breath of air that she could out of life until the cancer robbed her of her last. Despite the cancer she was the fittest, healthiest dog you could imagine, running 2hour off lead walks twice a day, learning to swim and chasing after her rubber ring non-stop. I think I honestly thought she was indestructible. Due to the Cushings and her need to wee often, I slept on the floor with her downstairs for the last 6 months of her life. On her last night she got up and I woke with her standing over my head. She didn't want to go out as would usually be the case, she just 'came' to me as though asking for help, asking me to stop the hurt. She came up to me and I could not help her, I couldn't do anything to help her, I could not stop her pain. She went to lay down again and was restless for the rest of the night. I called in work to say she was bad and the plan was to phone the vet in the afternoon as it became obvious that we were out of time.

Kelly got worse and was literally dying but she was still every bit my Kelly, the cancer took her body but it couldn't touch her soul and her sheer will to live. I made 5 calls to the vet that morning and the wait for them to come was agonising. They arrived 5 minutes too late.

She is buried in the garden, looking down at the house, with her rubber ring close to her.

I watched you die Kelly, I saw you suffer, I failed you on the one single occassion you ever asked me for anything. I love you for eternity and everything I try to do now is in an attempt to live up to the example you set me. I cannot let you down again.

Ear strokes in heaven (and don't jump on Cassie too much!)

Edited by reds

She sounded such a lovely strong willed girl.

I am so sorry, don't feel bad about the way things happened, I know you cared for her a great deal :GroupHug:

Free and healthy now dear Kelly :wub:

It is such a shame that you had to wait so long for the vet. We were lucky with our vet, he came out to Blackberry on a Friday evening within the hour as her lungs were failing fast and she was in distress. It all came so quickly so I know how it would have been for Kelly. Blackberry had lung tumours also.

You really did do your very best.

Think of all those lovely years you had together :wub: