UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"a" Recall

Gnasher

We don't take obedience very seriously as far as close heelwork and precision goes but I do try and get what we do roughly right :laugh:

Gnasher knows his normal recall and "A" recalls but up to now I have always done either a straight recall or I have done a left turn so calling him in to heel is fairly easy. How do I train though for a right turn where Gnasher has to go round behind me to get into the correct position. I suspect I need to start with very gradual turns so he gets used to the change and then increase the degree of turn as he gets confident - or is there another way?

On Saturday I was in the club demo team and ended up on the wrong side when we did an "A" recall so I turned to the right - I did realise before we started that we were going to struggle as we have not even practiced that way :unsure: Gnash came straight across to my right and I then had to send him round to heel from there - not the neatest move in the world although I guess most people watching would not have noticed anything wrong at all. It was only a school fete so not the most important thing in the world but I would like to teach him the correct way to do it!!

First question is does Gnasher know where 'heel' is? I'm guessing as he has come to the wrong side that he isn't too sure. This is the first thing to work on cos that way when you say heel he will go straight to your left side.

I would do lots of work in reinforcing the heel command as being at your left side when walking on lead with him, call him into heel when he is off lead and praise in the correct position, eventually the 'a' recall will just happen because he happens to be to that side when you call him. Once he is returning to the correct side when off lead out walking I would start making it more formal with the sit wait and tightening up on the straightness and position once he has rejoined you.

That probably makes no sense at all, but I know what I mean!!!

The easiest way to start training for the right hand turn is to do the recall on right handed circles gradually bending away from a straight line. Also try using a more obvious hand signal to bring him to the correct side.

You could start the right hand circles on the lead so that you can help bring him to the left as you go.

Hand signals or a definite look over the shoulder (to your left) when you call him will help. I also echo what Kimbas Mum says - it sounds as though the heel command is not yet ingrained in him enough. I practise when Ted. is off the lead on walks and call him to heel. He knows that heel means being on my left leg and when I'm out I tend to walk away in such a direction that he always ends up coming from behind me into the position. It's just practice and reinforcing what he does already know. Sounds like you're nearly there though!

I'm having a stay crisis at the moment (keeps going down in the sit) so was hiding from here :laugh:

Thanks everyone :flowers:

He is not bad at knowing where heel is but I think I could do a bit more work on it with him. I was a large part of the problem on Saturday as I realised we had never done a right turn and it was the first time we had tried anything quite that advanced in public :huh: I ended up looking to my right and calling him that way so I don't think I was at all clear about what I wanted and did not really give him a fair chance :wacko: - he did come in to heel as soon as I asked him to when he reached me so hopefully we are not far off if I can get my act together and put in a bit of work - we will start with right circles :)