UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Ok, if everyone’s opinion is as valid as everyone else’s I’ll add my ten penneth. If this March is to be credible then the support of Greyhound Action is paramount. I admire their single mindedness and believe that most of us want that ban. It makes no sense to me to be putting in all this effort if it is just for a compromised deal. I also think a GA representative should be involved with all the planning. As an organisation they have been carrying out demonstrations for years and have the relevant knowledge to make it work. The analogy of the sky v the tree tops has been mentioned here a few times and this is a golden opportunity to press home that commercial racing has to stop. I find it hard to believe that anyone would object to that. Whether the government does or does not do anything at the end of the day, the people who march will be committed to that common aim.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The finances will be discussed shortly and is a very valid question. Hopefully costs will be kept to a minimum - for example someone has already offerred to help with printing materials and hopefully others will come forward with particular skills/services they can offer to keep costs down. This is where the sub-committees will come into play.

We cannot force anyone to join the march, I understand and respect Tony's viewpoint and we have had correspondence on the matter. If we were to come down on one side of the fence or the other, there will be some groups who feel their principles will be compromised, we can only do our best to make it as inclusive as possible, for rescue groups, welfare groups, campaign groups, forums and the general public and I hope so far we have.

Edited by FoxyGirl

As far as I'm aware GAS members will be marching.

We will turn up on the day and walk as individuals, I dont need to be part of hope or any other group that day, I will be myself and will be there for my own reasons like many other people.

A mass email was sent out, if people decided they do not want to be involved thats fine :) But there are allot of organisations who do want to take part and march under the one banner.

There are alot of people who would like to see racing banned but not all feel comfortable standing in public and declaring it so.

If we start to specify between an outright ban and independent regulation then we will alienate a group of people and we will no longer have the large group that is needed to make the necessary impact.

I understand that and feel completely for those who want to ban but can't express their thoughts for the reasons you say. I don't know how that could be overcome.

It does seem that alienation has already taken place - not anyone's fault but it is very disappointing that GA having campaigned so well for so long cannot spearhead this march.

Of course Mel and Dan :)

One of the proposals up for discussion is a rally at a park afterwards where the various groups can have stalls etc promoting their own objectives. Personally I would shy away from speakers etc but at least literature for all views could be distributed.

It is a good idea about letters Mel - we did a simialr thing with the Rusty memorial and took message boards which was very well received. Perhaps open a guestbook on the Information Website that can then be collated into albums and taken on the day?

Even though there are many people who would like a ban on racing, if we were to specify that as the purpose of our march then that would mean a lot of people may feel that they could no longer march. One example of a possible problem might be that many rescuers work in sensitive situations alongside the racing industry and may feel that they would be compromising their work or in some cases perhaps even their own safety - this has been a concern expressed to me in the past.

I understand that and feel completely for those who want to ban but can't express their thoughts for the reasons you say. I don't know how that could be overcome.

It does seem that alienation has already taken place - not anyone's fault but it is very disappointing that GA having campaigned so well for so long cannot spearhead this march.

I think the above explains the reasons very well.