UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May 21

Jazz

the times the same nurse has failed me, but im hoping because its on the phone, and lockdown, dont think they have the blood test after the one where my sugars were the lowest ever, which will get me through

ill definately be on my knees from midday. wont be able to get up, but getting through is the main thing lol

Hello All,

It is my very sad duty to have to tell you that my darling wife, Sue, who you all knew as Suzeanna, but who I have only ever know as Suzie passed away from this world at 21.20 Monday evening.

The end was peaceful and pain free, which is the best any of us can ask for. She started to deteriorate on Saturday and I got a call at 5.45 in the morning and went over.

She was unconscious most of the day but to our surprise opened her eyes just after six in the evening and asked for a drink of water and was very lucid.

Sunday there was a certain level of awareness but her breathing had become more laboured. Today was not an easy day to sit with her her breathing was harsh

and noisy, fortunately there was no level of awareness from her.

I got a call from the hospice as I was walking Candy that again her breathing had changed and that the end was very near. I got home and drove

to the Hospice, only to be met by the nurse who told me she has died five minutes earlier. Knowing my sue she did that on purpose so that i would be 

there when she went!

In keeping with Sue's wishes there will not be a funeral, she asked that she has Direct Disposal, and all she asked was that people would raise 

a glass in her memory the day of her cremation. I will let you know when this is as soon as it is arranged.

I would like to thank you all for your care and support for Sue I was appreciated by Sue and it is very much appreciated by me. She might not have met any of you, but 

to her you were all friends. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for the friendship you all gave her.

Philip

Me again, I wrote this for my Facebook page, but thought it would be appreciated here too, please excuse the reference to an old work colleague!

It is over.

My beloved wife left the world at 21.20 Monday evening.  She slipped into unconsciousness late Saturday evening and her passing from this world was quiet and without pain.

Her given names were Andrea Susan but she never used the name Andrea, to most people she was “Sue” Though on a memorable occasion she was greeted by a raucous crowd of work colleagues with a roar of Mrs.Phil!  She loved that, and the boozy hug given to her by one Gavin Teal! To her children Mandy and Mark she was “Mum”, to her Grandchildren Aidan, Abby and Jamie she was “Nana Sue” but to me for longer than I remember and no matter how old we had become she was always “Suzie”

She wasn’t religious but liked the idea that Terry Pratchett put forward in one of his Discworld books that what came after life was what you believed in. In which case my Suzie would not have walked through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, she would have ridden hard and fast through it into the Light… and she would have been astride a great white horse… named Binkey!

“Go Not Gently into the Night” is a motto Sue kept since her initial diagnosis eight years ago.  She made up her mind what she wanted to do with her life and stuck to it, sometimes against what the medics had advised. She gained respect from the clinical staff and Consultants and over the last three weeks this has been repeated several times with them saying “I have read your wife’s notes, she is a strong, determined and intelligent woman” This had also been said to her at various times too, though her usual answer was “You mean that I have got Bloody Awkward Woman written down somewhere”

If my wife has left any legacy to this world other than to her family it will be that maybe she has made some of the medical world realise that the patient does have a voice and that it should be listened to. That they need to make the patient aware that they have a choice and give the alternatives, and once that choice has been made it should be respected.

I now find it hard to believe that I have been married for nearly twenty nine years and that I had known her for several years before that, it seems to have gone by so fast. I remember everything as if it was yesterday. At one time in my life I felt that I would never meet somebody, and although I had loved before it was my Suzie who was the “One” She was my world, and although Paloma Faith sang it with a different meaning, it is true that “Only Love Can Hurt Like This” I never knew the true meaning of being Broken Hearted until now.

In keeping with her wishes there will not be a funeral service, simply a cremation with no one in attendance. However there are two songs that she felt appropriate and maybe if you have time you will listen to them.

“Into the West” by Annie Lennox

“Somewhere” by Runrig

I would like to add the following love song for my Lady Love

I would like to Thank all those that have given me their support over the years I cannot start to tell how much it has meant to me.

I will also like to thank the staff in the EMU and Elmton ward at the Chesterfield Royal and also all at the Ashgate Hospice, where Sue was treated with care and compassion for the last few weeks of her life.

I will end this post with the words that were written on my last birthday present to her:

Loved you yesterday

Love You still

always have

always will.

Edited by suzeanna
  • Like 1

So sorry, Philip.  Rest peacefully, sue.

While not unexpected it does't make it any easier when it comes..

We were all on that journey with her. Willing her along the way. 

I admired the way she tackled every development  in her own way.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Like 1