UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Want To Start Walking Purdie Again

Natpants

Actually this thread HAS done wonders for my confidence! It's made me realise just how proud I am of my progress with Purdie and how I really don't give a monkey's if people think what I've done so far is right or not. Purdie is a calmer, happy, constantly wagging girl and I'm really proud of the changes I've brought about in her. I've got buckley's chance of everyone agreeing with everything I do so I will continue to question and take on board others' comments, especially of those behaviourists and experienced trainers, and make a judgement based accordingly. I am an intelligent and well-informed owner and will continue to do the right thing, as I see it. Happily this is not the "should I rehome Purdie" thread but the "how can I CONTINUE to IMPROVE Purdie's life" thread.

YAY - discussion is always good - you clarified matters to those asking questions and as a result, realised how well you're actually doing. Good for you!

I wish you and Purdie all the best.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Now not sure what you're asking of us all in this thread :wacko:

Sounds to me from what you've written above that:

1. you have been and are happy with the training regime you have in place

2. you don't want to undo any of the good work done so far

3. you want a dog that is non aggressive and happy in the company of other dogs

4. you believe that the training regime you have in place may be able to achieve the point 3 above.

5. you want input from trainers and behaviourists

The current situation is:

1. Purdie is bored

2. You haven't got the money at the mo to further the training that you want to do

3. Your Trainer is away on hols until the end of November and currently non contactable

Your original question was 'I want to walk Purdie again'. I cannot help you with that question as I do not know Angela Stockdale etc and her way of working. I cannot second guess what she would think is right or wrong. I would imagine only Angela Stockdale can answer your original question, if you want to continue this regime, which you seem to want to do.

It sounds like you need to therefore wait until you can get in contact with this lady and ask her opinion at the end of this month, which isn't too long to wait. Sounds like you then may have to wait a little longer, because of money etc, before you can actually start re attending the classes. Hopefully phone advice in the meantime from your trainer will be sufficient?

Everyone's opinion on dog training is going to be different, everyone has different tirals and tribulations with their dogs. You are going to get a multitude of different advice (as you already seem to have done) as training is not a 'black and white' area as I see it. If you are happy with what you have in place then the best thing is probably to stick with it and find the money from somewhere to complete it.

:flowers:

:) GOOD LUCK

Actually this thread HAS done wonders for my confidence! It's made me realise just how proud I am of my progress with Purdie and how I really don't give a monkey's if people think what I've done so far is right or not. Purdie is a calmer, happy, constantly wagging girl and I'm really proud of the changes I've brought about in her. I've got buckley's chance of everyone agreeing with everything I do so I will continue to question and take on board others' comments, especially of those behaviourists and experienced trainers, and make a judgement based accordingly. I am an intelligent and well-informed owner and will continue to do the right thing, as I see it. Happily this is not the "should I rehome Purdie" thread but the "how can I CONTINUE to IMPROVE Purdie's life" thread.

:bigsmiley: I'm so pleased to hear you saying this. I know that in the past, comments have made you doubt yourself and have made things harder for you. I am so happy that you fel so much more confidence.

If you're looking for things to keep Purdie amused, a friend of mine gave me a great suggestion the other day - she got from Kay Lawrence. Get one of those long, dressage whips with the long thread at the end. Tie a toy to it. Then you can swish it around.

I'm going to do this for Katie when I get organised and use a rabbit skin - to retrain her after her squirrel killing incident a few weeks ago.

Tracey xx

:bigsmiley: I'm so pleased to hear you saying this. I know that in the past, comments have made you doubt yourself and have made things harder for you. I am so happy that you fel so much more confidence.

If you're looking for things to keep Purdie amused, a friend of mine gave me a great suggestion the other day - she got from Kay Lawrence. Get one of those long, dressage whips with the long thread at the end. Tie a toy to it. Then you can swish it around.

I'm going to do this for Katie when I get organised and use a rabbit skin - to retrain her after her squirrel killing incident a few weeks ago.

Tracey xx

ooh rabbit skin, good idea. Me and em are designing new toys for her to make using rabbit skins, Purdie and Katie can be test dogs :D

You dont' need a dressage whip, you can do with just a lead and made the toy scurry away. Also you get toys on elastic that are used for gundog training to simulate a rabbit running out and distracting the dog, so they have to learn to ignore, might be good using that to train a chase recall?

Nat, I know I'm not on your doorstep, but you are welcome to bring Purdie over to use the paddock for free running between 11 and 3 most days. I know mine would go nuts without the chance to have their 'funny 5 minutes' out there, and they are boring sighthounds, Purdie sounds like she could do with a good blast.