UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Echin-whatsit

fee4

can someone tell me what amount of that echin-whatsit i should give Moo to help her heal after her dental surgery?

i have never used the stuff-but as people have recommended it on here so many times-thought i would give it a go.....

cheers

fee

What strength are they and how big is the dog?

Got this from Vetstop for Echinacea - "Dogs 50 - 150mg of dry herb daily per 10kg of bodyweight"

Arnica got this - Adults and children: 2 pillules every 2 hours for the first 6 doses, then 4 times daily for up to 5 days or until symptoms improve.

Personally I'd use 6C not 30C for a child or animal

And both shouldn't hurt so long as there is no reaction to them

Edited by Godin

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday - ok, Homeopathic Arnica 30c one tablet three times daily for a few days after surgery - helps swelling, bruising etc, generally helps heal quicker. Also great for any injury - bumps, falls etc.

Any surgery planned in future, you'd start Arnica two days before and continue for a few days after at that dose.

Echinacea is an immune system booster which is also great for colds etc. But great at any time, and surgery is a time when the immune system has to be strong so would be great now too. How much? Depends on weight of dog - take it as a proportion of your weight and dose accordingly - ie, my dog is about 6stone, I'm about 8/9 stone, so 2/3 of adult dose would be right.

Godin - both 6c and 30c are perfectly safe for both children and dogs, babies even - the difference is that 30c is best in an acute situation such as surgery, accidents etc, and 6c is more often used for long-standing complaints :) If, however you have an acute situation and only have 6c you would give one extra tablet per day. ie, surgery and only 6c to hand, give 4 per day.

Edited by Muriel

Muriel I'm not a homeopath I was just trying to be helpful and the info quoted was from the web

Personally I've never used echinacea but I did use arnica after having Tom to help with bruising, swelling and the stitches and they were 30c and I just followed the instructions on the bottle :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

- the difference is that 30c is best in an acute situation such as surgery, accidents etc, and 6c is more often used for long-standing complaints :) If, however you have an acute situation and only have 6c you would give one extra tablet per day. ie, surgery and only 6c to hand, give 4 per day.

Are you sure about this - I thought the opposite - 6c is for acute - and 30c is for chronic long standing things.... we see a homeopathic vet with one of the dogs and have done for ages... he always starts her off with 30c, as she has a chronic condition.

Godin, I realised you were trying to be helpful, :) and I apologise if I seemed snappy, I didn't intend to be :flowers: I read it as you thought 30c wasn't safe for kids or dogs and I was trying to say that it is in the right circumstances, ie acute situations, accidents etc. Your info was helpful :)

Gundogsgalore, yes, I'm sure :wink: That's the general advice for us lay people using Homeopathy. I imagine your homeopathic vet will have a very good reason for starting with 30c, which I'm sure works very well. Homeopathy is a vast subject and extremely complicated :ohmy:

Obviously I realise its a vast subject which is why I consult with a homeopathic vet !!!

Not all homeopaths agree on dosage and potency, and the potency to be taken depends on both the sensitivity of the patient, and the exact remedy being taken. But as a general rule, chronic illnesses (i.e. those that you've had for a long time) should be treated with high numbers i.e. 30C - 200C and Acute (i.e. those that are relatively new) with low numbers i.e 6C. taken from http://www.abchomeopathy.com/taking.htm

we shall have to agree to differ on that then eh - I better keep quiet cos rabbiting on about homeopathy is why I got banned from you know where : )

Edited by Gundogsgalore

As it says, they don't all agree :wink: George Macleod, Andrew Lockie and my own Homeopath all seem to think that 'in general' low for chronic etc.... which was where I got my info. I was also told that by a Homeopathic Pharmacist/author. But having read again, the books do also say that not all homeopaths agree :wacko: :wink: Blooming confusing subject, Homeopathy :wink: One thing they all do seem to agree on is that 6c is best if any small doubt about the correctness of the remedy.

Didn't know you'd been banned from anywhere:wink:

Edited by Muriel