UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Stupid Question(?)

oscarsmum

Whenever i have some peanuts, Oscar sits and gives me "the eyes" until I give in and let him have half a one :rolleyes:

Now, I don't mind sharing my peanuts :laugh: but need to know if they're bad for dogs? I only ever give him half or one peanut at a time, he chews them properly and really seems to savour them, but if they're a no no, I'll stop.

Sorry if this is a daft question :wacko:

Dogs love peanut butter so a few nuts wouldn't harm (unless allergic to them) but do watch out as to much salt is not good for your dog.Macadamia nuts should be avoided. Sadly it is thought that most nuts are not good for your dogs health since their high phosporus content is said to lead to bladder stones. Having said that mine love Walnuts & Brazil nuts :)

Sully once stole a 1kg bag of monkey nuts and ate the whole lot, shells, bag and everything. I had to take him to the vets and they gave him stuff to make him sick (and boy was he sick :sick01: ). They weren't particularly worried about the nuts, but that the volume of shells (and the bag) could become impacted, or make him bloat.

Nuts are very high in fat and phosporus though, neither of which are good for dogs in large quantities, but that shouldn't be an issue if they are just an occasionl treat. I guess if they are salted peanuts it could be a problem too, cos too much salt is bad for them too.

OB once stole a whole jar of peanuts, OH didnt tell me, I found out by the 'nutty' bars I was picking up in the garden. :laugh: I did worry about the salt content, but he is ok... :rolleyes:

It seems that most dogs really like the taste of (pea)nuts. I wonder if its the peanuts themselves or the salt they love :unsure:

"Nutty bars" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (sorry, for some reason that really tickled me!)