UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Little Dog Very Tired Very Quick

waggi

Brockie is a very fit little dog he has walked up cumbrian mountains and can keep up with the others no problem

he is 12inches to the withers and is a cross breed of some sort most probable sugestion is a BC X JRT but awners on a post card to that one

the problem is at flyball training he will happily do his first few 3-5 runs perfect well quick and from the box but after that the wont touch the box and jumps the first jump then stops and looks round - we have come to the conclusion that he is getting tired these are the only signs of getting tired that he is showing as he is still YAPING at that annoying volume that only little dogs can achieve and running in little tight circles on the end of the lead

so any sugestions as to getting him flyball fit or how to enourage him after his brill runs

here are some piccis so you can understand what i mean about him

100_0021.jpg

brock.jpg

brockandjoe.jpg

*the child has grown the dog has not*

brockandcleo2.jpg

Edited by waggi

If you take him out for a walk, does he chase a ball? The way I have done it with Ed, is to take a tennis ball and throw it for him whilst the other two aren't looking, that way he gets a run on his own. I have also switched the boys over to Burns active whilst they are competing, which seems to give them more stamina. The other way you could do it is by doing long recalls. You go out for a walk with another person and stand at opposite ends of a big field, you take it in turns to call him and heavily reward when he gets to you. That way, he'll be doing a heck of a lot of running, and he will run because of the reward he gets at the end :)

Maybe at training, just get him out and do a couple of runs with him at the beginning of the session. Then put him away, and try with another dog. At the end of the session, get him out again and if he does it right then reward with whatever his favourite reward is (ball, food etc) and then end on a high. One mistake everyone is guilty of from time to time is to push the dog and not give up before the dog gets bored. Difficult I know, but it is better to give up one leg too early than waiting till the dog starts to make mistakes and then trying to get them to do it one more time to end on a high. We've all done it, Ed was the world's worst - he'd start off perfect, and then start spitting the ball out - you could never predict when he was going to do it either, so some weeks, I'd only do a couple of runs with him and then finish, just to make sure he'd end on a high :)

We have a collie at training who is the fastest dog there. He is very fit and does long walks round the isle of wight and never tires normally. However after a few runs he stops coming back over the jumps. Hes been training for over a year now and still does it, mainly because mentally hes tired rather than physically.

My spaniel is the same. Fit as a fiddle, but after a few runs he is on mantal overload. I think its simply a case of build it up slowly and try not to over do it too soon.

Don't underestimatre how tiring barking is too! Meg is fantastically fit and loves her flyball, but will tire quickly when at a competition because she is continuously barking!

Bertie is the same, but we have put it down to a low attention span rather than lack of fitness. Now in training he only does a few runs to keep his interest, as soon as I can sense he is about to get bored we stop and try again later.

Brockie looks like he will be a cracking height dog :biggrin: , and very gorgeous with it :wub:

well being only 12inches tall and very very fast then yup he will make a lovelly little height dog

what i have been doing with him is spacing his runs out a bit more and getting him running in more a team format which makes him more exited

we try to always end on a high note even if it means me jumping all the jumps as well

Brock doesnt really bark its more an annoying little dog ear piercing YAP

My dogs are all on a raw diet so theres not really much i can add - although i did think about adding one of the CJS herb suppliments to his diets (although i havent looked yet the brain wave just hit me)

it really isnt lack of fitness he is one fit little dog and he is mighty fast with it - when he first runs he is making the fence and all in one stride like the big dogs

I feed my lot raw and was finding that my dobie was tiring at competitions (a bit of a size difference from yours I know). He is very fit and regularly comes out galloping with me on the horses so I didn't know what to do with him. I contacted CSJ and they suggested I try feeding "Go On" with his current diet. It has made a huge difference to him and I would suggest you try it. The only problem is that it is not the most pallatable, The dobe eats it well but my pointed was not impressed, so if he is a picky eater you might have to be a bit sneaky to get it into him.

Hope it helps.

K

well being only 12inches tall and very very fast then yup he will make a lovelly little height dog

what i have been doing with him is spacing his runs out a bit more and getting him running in more a team format which makes him more exited

That's another thing I have found with Eddie - he runs much better in a team environment - when he runs, we put him last so that he has the other three dogs to gee him up a bit!

Can't wait to meet him (and you :D ) at Ryecroft :biggrin:

i used the CJS calm down on Meggie when we first got her and it was really good for her BUT one of them broke into the pack and uhhh ate almost 3/4 of a tub - i never got round to getting anymore - may get the CJS stuff im sure he will eat it if i shove it on some liver

ive been running him every other turn if you get what i mean and behind other dogs to just help get him going a bit

am looking forward to rycroft hubby is running his Meggie Moo i may run Brock we shall see how things go but all of the dogs will be coming anyway so be prepared for lurcher puppy cuddles