UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Incontinence In Male Dog

EGAR

Loong story but I'll try to make it as short as possible. A very good friend of mine is taking a male DDB from an animal rescue in Hungary. He had been handed into the pound without an explanation, so nothing is known about his history. He was taken from the pound to be quarantined by the rescue and they also neutered him. He was a cryptorchid and the OP was just in time as the testicle inside the belly had already developed a growth. No biopsy was done, we are talking bare necessities there as they are poor and still do a wonderful job. The vet guessed him to be 5 years of age. He's otherwise healthy and his joints are ok as well.

The dog is still at the rescue but will be coming over to Germany on the 2nd of July. The rescue phoned my friend and told her that the dog *leaks*. Not just drips of urine but literally leaks. She is still taking him on, fair play to her! It is strongly supected that the dog was surrendered to the pound for exactly that reason. Obviously, she will have him checked out by the vet but she is also looking into alternative treatments. Any ideas of what she can try? She was looking into Canthahs D 12 as this is recommended for incontinence after OPs.

Sarah

I'm not sure, but didn't like to see you with no replies :flowers:

I had a look on the net, and found these articles

number 1

number 2 which had this information on it:

Q: Dear Dr. Mike: We have a 7 year old male pug that has developed canine incontinence recently. Our vet has been treating for bladder and kidney infections with various medications for several weeks but the problem continues. The vet seems to be stumped by this and we would like to know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

A: It sometimes takes a little while for a vet to become convinced that canine incontinence really is canine incontinence, especially in a young or middle-aged dog. Usually we try to rule out bladder infections, bladder stones, neurologic disorders, hormonal disorders that increase urine output and all other possible causes of urinary problems that we can eliminate before giving up and accepting that canine incontinence is present. I can't fault this approach because most of the time I do the same thing. Often, we will try antibiotics to make sure that cystitis isn't present, then suggest X-rays of the bladder and a general lab panel to try to rule out obvious hormonal disease like diabetes. Bladder stones seem to be a relatively common cause of canine incontinence in male dogs in our practice. Sometimes the history is so strongly supportive of canine incontinence that we go right to exploring the possible causes of it first - neurologic and hormonal disorders being the most common causes of canine incontinence in dogs.

Once your vet is convinced that this is canine incontinence and not something else, he will probably try hormonal therapy if no obvious neurologic disorder is present. In male dogs, this is usually testosterone by injection since a convenient oral form of the hormone isn't available as far as I know. Most of the time the injections can be spaced around a month apart. If neurologic signs are present, they will be treated based on exactly what your vet finds. Good luck with this.

Thank you, Gooster for all the work you put in :) :) . I will pass the info on to her, she is really excited as the dog is coming to her on Sunday :) . The 1. Link is absolutely brilliant and I have bookmarked it for myself as well. THANK YOU :)

Sarah