UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Merles-collie Nipping

angelad

I think it depends what is triggering him. If you are pointing at the jump and he is grabbing you then, take your arms away and use more shoulder movement.

The best way to not get the problem is to use a toy to throw ahead or on a turn. That way they are motivated to move forwards and not at you. All ours dogs have been taught this way and have great go ons, pull throughs and turns (well when they are listening, little devils :laugh: )

Not sure if thats any help or made any sense (its easier to show than tell) :) .

What does your trainer say?

There is a GSD in our class who used to jump up and nip. Every time the dog nipped, the owner immediatley walked off the course without saying anything to the dog or looking at her, and that was the end of the round. For a few weeks they didn't get to do much agility, but the dog soon learned that excited nipping didn't get her anything, and it has now pretty much stopped.

I would be interested in this as well. I have just started another of my collies and she does exactly the same.

I can see how the toys are a great idea (it has worked for my others) but with this girl the problem is that she is not toy orientated in the slightest.

She also nips when I use the hand signals, so will be trying more shoulder emphasis.

You could also try targeting them so they get used to working ahead of you as sometimes the nipping is frustration that you are not going fast enough :biggrin:

Try putting an upturned bucket with a treat on it 2 or 3 jumps away and sending them to the bucket, you will need to have got them used to the idea that there is a treat on the bucket and someone standing by the bucket to whip the treat away in case they run round or under the jump. Once thet get the idea you'll find it's a good way of training on your own too. You can then start to go further and further away until they are happy to work ahead of you THEN you have the fun of using directionals as they will normally be 2-3 jumps ahead but no nipping.

Good luck

NED does your girl like food? You can buy those toys which you put food in (friend has a little soft duck), these can be thrown and then dog will be rewarded when you get to them or they bring it back (open up the back to get food out). Obviously only good if your dog isn't going to do a runner with the toy and rip it to bits :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies.

He's jumping and nipping at my arms when I point him to the right drection/obstacle. We're on about our 9th lesson now and doing about 6 obstacles in a set order. (Sorry, Terminology is probably wrong) Merlin has got steadily worse at the nipping over the last 3 weeks and the last lesson was awful. The trainer suggested I put him in a down and walk away, then go back and stroke/talk to him calmly. Had no effect. She then suggested I cross my arms and used my shoulders and he started nipping my legs. She's suggested a 1:1 with the woman who runs all the classes which I can't do for 2 weeks so wanted to try something on my own at home.

Perhaps I should try going back to one jump and throwing a toy which is how we started off and he did perfectly. Its since we've been doing more of a course and I've been using my arms that it has started.

Or, how can I throw a toy when the course involves sharp turns between jumps (I'm feeling a bit thick tonight)

Edited by angelad

Don't panic, break it all down again.

Go back to one jump, two jumps etc in a row until he is listening and concentrating ahead.

Same with turns and pull throughs. Over one jump and turn either left or right - throw the ball - keep it simple. Progress to straight lines and turns (not too many) and turns into straight lines etc.

Also use ball for pull throughs as it can be tempting for a dog nip when coming towards you.

Do you use directional commands? If he is being told what to do then he will have less time to nip. Some dogs get frustrated when they aren't being told what to do, and this can lead to either nipping, running off or turning in circle (amongst other things).

Just relax and take it slowly. Remember his reward is the toy - build up the sequences slowly and increase amount of obstacles it takes before he gets the toy (after the first basic retraining period).

Hope it all goes well :)

Thanks Dizzycharm, great advice and I think you've hit the nail on the head in that I need to relax, Didn't realize till I read this just how stressed I feel about the whole thing - mostly because I felt it was me letting Merles down in some way.

Thanks again everybody. ( Off to make some makeshift jumps in the garden)