UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Do You Get Your Dog To 'present'

cackie

I am training for the BIPDT Silver good citizens award with Abeni and she is stuggling on presenting the toy or cloth after she has retrieved it :( everything else she can do brilliantly but I just don't seem to be able to get her to this. She loves toys and loves the retrieving and will put the item in my hand put won't hold and then sit. I have tried putting the toy gently in her mouth and tickling her under the chin whilst saying hold but she just doesn't seem to like it. How did everyone else teach their dog to this?

Are you doing the sit first and then putting the article in her mouth, or is she picking it up first before you ask her to sit?

Are the hold and the sit reliable seperately?

I can't quite remember how I did it with Charlie, I think I taught the hold and then asked him to sit while he had the article in his mouth. With him I was just lucky he did it pretty much first time!

Are you doing the sit first and then putting the article in her mouth, or is she picking it up first before you ask her to sit?

Are the hold and the sit reliable seperately?

I can't quite remember how I did it with Charlie, I think I taught the hold and then asked him to sit while he had the article in his mouth. With him I was just lucky he did it pretty much first time!

So far I have just ask her to sit when she returns with the toy. She does so immediately but then drops the toy. I then put the toy in her mouth stroke her under the chin and say 'hold' but she just wriggles and spits the toy out. It doesn't seem to matter what toy I use either.

• 3 weeks later...

Back chain the exercise. Just teach your dog to hold whilst sitting in front of you. First reward her for just taking it. Once she takes it reliably every time, withold the reward for a couple of seconds, then give her the reward. Continue until she holds it reliably. (Clicker training is perfect for this). Once that is solid, hold the article to the side, get her to take it and return her head into the correct present position. Then hold the article in different positions and eventually put it on the floor right in front of her. Let her pick it up, every time rewarding her when she is back in the correct present position. Then put the article a foot or so away that your dog has to get up and walk a couple of steps and then come back into the present. Continue this until your dog picks up from anywhere and returns back to the present position.

I would not practice the full retrieve for a while, you only allow her to continue making mistakes.

Vera