UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Trimming Nails

Fee

Meg's nails were very overgrown when she came to us, they were pushing her toes out of position as she walked.

I generally trim them about every six weeks, but the quick seems to grow right down to the end of the nail and I can only take a tiny amount off without hurting her and making them bleed. Although they are a bit shorter than they were originally they are still much longer than I would like, and often get caught in her blankets etc.

Is there any way I can shorten them - if I trim them more often will the quick gradually recede? If so how often could they be cut without danger of hurting her? I want to take it very carefully because she was terrified of having her paws touched/nails cut when she was first here, and it's taken a long time to get her used to it - I don't want to risk anything that will set her back again.

I do Nala and Phoenixs every three/four weeks. Once you have trimmed the nail the quick will gradually recede so that you can trim a little more of the nail. I only trim little bits at a time, never cut one large chunk off. I also file the nails and give them a good daily walk on pavement to help keep them trimmed back. For my dogs every six weeks would be too long but each dog is different. Phoenixs claws don't need doing the same as Nalas as his claws tend to "touch the floor" whereas Nalas dont.

I've found as a general guideline that the quick normally ends as the claw begins to bend so I never trim near that.

HTH.

Edited by kittycat97

Thanks for the link and the advice. The 'every six weeks' cutting was what was advised by the vet nurse, and seems to work OK to keep Meg's nails from getting longer but isn't getting them any shorter if that makes sense. My other dogs hardly ever seem to need their nails clipping - Molly's just seem to wear down naturally and Taz bites his :rolleyes: so I've never been in the habit of doing a regular nail trimming routine, I just tidy up rough ends when I spot them..

I'll try with Meg taking tiny bits off more frequently and see if that does the trick :)

I'd try filing them a bit at a time, I find an emery board works fine, the rough side.

A little tip - if you trim/file when the moon is waning, they will grow more slowly. Also true for cutting hair, grass, etc..... So better not to cut every 6 weeks as then you'll be doing it in a waning moon one time and a waxing one the next. Every 4 or 8 would be better. It's waning just now.

Thanks Muriel, the moon thing is certainly a new one on me! So if I get my hair cut at the right time it won't need doing so often? I did try an emery board but it seemed to make no difference at all, I think Meg's nails are just too tough.

I'm not doing too well at the moment, decided to try cutting Mg's nails again after a week, took the tiniest little bit off and ended up 'quicking' her. Poor little girl, she's so good letting me do it even though she doesn't like it. I feel like a murderer now, and boy did it bleed. Luckily someone gave me a very good tip for a bleeding nail - put a tiny dab of superglue on a cotton bud and hold it against the nail for a few seconds. It worked a treat.

Just out of interest, does anyone dremel their dogs' nails? I'm considering it for Molly (greyhound) - she doesn't seem to need her nails done often but when she does it's screaming trauma time, I absolutely dread it. I wondered if a dremel might be a better option?

Hi ..I'd be carefull with the superglue as it travels ( can't think of the scientific name :rolleyes: ) but its not good ..if you get a 'styptic' ( probably spelt wrong ) pencil from a chemist that works ..its the thing men use when they cut themselves shaving :wink:

Like the others say the quick will go back but it takes time and you have to get the dog used to the dremmel if you go down that route too :wacko: I just clip little bits little and often

Hi, yes, the hair and moon thing works :wink:

I know of people who use Dremels, but having read about it and the acclimatisation you have to do to get the dog used to the blooming thing before you start trimming, I decided it was quicker and less stressful for dog and me to just clip or file.

They bleed like crazy when you nick them! I got Hannah once and did penance for months :laugh: She wasn't bothered for more than a few minutes though.

I know a lot of people use superglue for cut pads etc and lets face it, hospitals use it now, so I don't imagine it does that much harm if it's just a teeny drop?

• 4 weeks later...