UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Just Got Back From Ollie's First Hwtm Class!

Tempest

Our local training club have just started running HWTM classes so Ollie and I went for the first ever one today :biggrin:

I didn't have a clue what to expect really or what we'd be doing but I really really really enjoyed it and so did Olls :biggrin:

Today it was really just a case of the dogs getting to know each other and we did lots of walking to 'march' type music so the trainer could get an idea of the dogs and the way they moved. She also showed us how to teach a 'bend' (kinda like a play bow) using a lure and Ollie seemed to pick up on that really well :biggrin: Next time she wants us to bring a target stick (so not quite sure what's the best thing to use for that really) and also bring a piece of music each that we'd like to work to :biggrin:

Basically I wondered if anyone had any suggestion for a good piece of music to work to (I'm not sure at all where to start tbh) and also I'd like a bit of info about how to use the target stick to teach a 'touch' command as I'm not sure on that at all either :wacko:

It was all great fun though which was the main thing and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!!

For the target stick, I use a piece of bamboo with some red tape on one end of it :) The way I teach them to touch the stick is with the clicker. I get the stick out, and with my lot being so nosy they'll go up and sniff it. As soon as they do C/T. Then I shape it so that they nudge it with their nose before C/T. If they bite it, that's wrong and they don't get rewarded. Eventually, I managed to get them following the stick around and touching it with their nose. :)

As for music, I don't have a clue :unsure:

Glad you enjoyed it :biggrin:

You want something with a really clear beat, that isn't too fast or slow but matches the pace of your dog. When i went to a hwtm day with richard curtis, he got us walking round the room to "cotton eye joe" and apparently country and western type music is always quite good.