UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tender Belly Area

phoenix21

Am hoping someone can enlighten me as to what could be wrong with molly!

Background Info:

Molly is our family dog who we have had since a pup (Molly is 11 now). My parents had one litter from her and she was then spayed at the age of 4. Our vets at the time seemed to have done a very poor job of the operation. She was very poorly after the op (prehaps given too much anesthetic) and her wound took a long time to heal. After the op her shape changed completely and she got quite fat. (she has since lost this weight)

I took molly to the vets today for a check up as she had been breathing heavily and i wanted her teeth checked. In those respects she ws in tip top health but the vet said she was very tender in her abdominal area and could feel a few lumps. She has also lost weight up top on her back but is carrying it below (if you understand what i mean in her belly area). She has had blood tests which the vet said would test her kidney and liver functions....(results come through tomorrow or tues) but me and my mum are now wondering if these problems are related to the bad spaying job the previous vets did on her. She really was ill after the spaying op...in comparison to phoenix (my dog) who was wanting to go on walks the evening after the op and bouncing off the walls and her scar is tiny and so neat compared to mollys.

Any one had any experience of this kind? Molly is a black lab btw.

Also she has been getting quite bloated after her dinner...the vet said this is because as the dog gets older the metabolism slows and digestion takes longer. I forgot to ask the vet but do you think it would be better to split her main meal (which she has at 4.30pmish) into breakfast and dinner? (she gets fed JWB Senior/light)

thanks. Molly being a lab appreciates food any time of the day so dont think she would mind having meals split, she'll probably think she is getting fed more :rolleyes:

When you split the meals did you gradually give less at tea time and just a bit at breakfast to begin with?

Azure was on one meal a day, but as Mollydog gets breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner (and snacks!), that was never going to work!

I just divided his evening meal up and fed him with Mollydog, and he was absolutely fine with that.