UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is There Anything People Want To Learn?

crazyspaniels

Me 3! :)

Went to a lesson with Richard Curtis and he said to push them through your legs. Sadly my dog doesn't like hands on training at all and gets very worried. Any other suggestions? Haven't had another lesson with Richard Curtis yet so haven't had a chance to discuss it with him.

I have never pushed mine, its much easier to lure them.

If your dog can walk backwards away from you then hopefully they have some awareness of their back feet and also that the walk back command means just that.

The best thing is to start with a handful of titbits and then if your dog is comfortable to straddle them so they are halfway between your legs, then I found that if I lured them back using a titbit on the inside of the left leg and then brought the titbit backwards through the legs to the outside of the left leg and rewarded there.

However other ways of doing it include a click for each step back from the straddle position, your dog might try and sit so try not to have the titbit too high over the dogs head. slightly to the side helps.

Some dogs might not like being straddled at first so make sure you work on your walk back so that they fully understand the command so that once you are behind them you can click for any move towards you, try a channel so they are clicked for coming back towards you instead of forward out of the channel.

Also if you go forward as they go back and treat on the left leg then some dogs will go quicker and this can teach them to whip backwards onto the left leg a bit faster.

Gradually build up the distance in font so that you can bring your dog out in front from your left side, and then get the back and back onto the left side.

Is it the turn and back up you want to get right??

I taught Ross using a target stick.

Put him in a stand stay and walked behind him - target stick over his head and drawn back so his head came up to touch - pull it back further to get a step back and C/T.

However, with the others I have used the straddle method but there was no need to use a lure. (I almost never use a lure when clicker training. I want the dog's full attention on what it is doing, not the food or toy in front of its nose. My dogs are taught to target my hand, so that's what I use if they need a little help to get started. It isn't the same as using a lure because the target isn't a reward in itself.)

I started with just the nose poking out in front and the dog's natural reaction was to back out so I shaped it from there.

Turning and reversing was fairly easy as I taught right and left spins seperately. the only tricky bit was getting the timing of the cues right to prevent the dog over-rotating or crashing into my legs.

Pam