UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Little Update On Jumble

Pendlewitch

Jumble is ok but still having occasional odd seizures for want of a better word. Today he did the paw raise, then a head tilt closely followed by a bum flop then wobbly trips, then vacant then seemed lame in front but was followed by another paw raise. Sometimes his gait was kind of paddling and wobbly, then it would go stilted. Between each event the 'normal' Jumble appeared and he'd leap round me barking then off into another do. Got back to the car rather slowly, he needed a hutch under the bum to get in and promptly collapsed in a heap. Got back home and a very normal Jumble bounced out of the car, flew round it a few times barking like he always does and hurled himself into the kitchen asking for breakfast!

He's off the steroids as they didn't seem to make any difference apart from him being ragingly hungry all the time. Whatever is going on is very peculiar but he is not having episodes every day or even every week and between them is is just the same as he ever was, noisy and bouncy. He did have his booster shot a few days ago so I'm wondering if that triggered him but I suppose that's clutching at straws and would not give me anymore of a clue as to the root of the problem if it had set him off.

I don't know where he is going with all this but at the moment most of the time he's fine so I suppose it's wait and see!

I noticed that every time George had his boosters he would seize within days so I stopped him having them after discussing it with our vet. I also stopped the use of all chemically type things on him (flea stuff) and in the house. The stuff we put in the carpet cleaner could trigger a seizure so he had to be kept out of the room when it was in use and the room well aired before he was allowed in. Fly spray would trigger a seizure so we went on to fly papers hanging from the ceiling. We had a joiner in once who used some glue that caused him to seize. Once I got a handle on this sort of stuff we were able to prevent some seizures.

Of course not all epi dogs are going to react to the same things but I mention it in case its of use.

:GroupHug: for Jumble.

Hi, boosters are a known trigger for seizures and to be perfectly honest absolutely not giving him any more protection that he already has.Our first dog used to have mini seizures after having boosters and my vet at the time told me not to do them again. I blood titre tested my current dogs to see whether they needed any boosters when I was in the UK and up until the age of 8 they were showing full protection. I just titre for rabies every year now and again one shot has been enough to provide full protection.

I have read a great deal of information that says routine boosters are not only unnecessary but can be positively harmful to our dogs. I certainly will not be boostering Barty ever again because of his health issues and I can't see why I would need to do Chloe again.

Thanks all, it does sound as though the booster is the culprit so he won't be having anymore! Yantan, your points have rung a few bells, I do use carpet freshener and fly spray so those are going to be banned.

I don't use flea treatments as they just don't seem to get any, Jumba is really good at picking up ticks but I take those off with a tick hook. What about worming, I've always used Drontal but I'm wondering about that now!

Hi, I don't worm regularly as my dogs aren't scavengers. If Jumble doesn't go around eating things while he is out ( horse poo, food off the ground) I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he does I would use a herbal wormer like Four Seasons or Grapefruit Seed Extract or DE (Diatomaceous Earth) - food grade and that popped into the food on a regular basis will get rid of any worms.

Ticks can be dealt with by giving high strength garlic oil (I use a human one) - we live in tick kingdom here in the summer and it isn't uncommon for some dogs rounds here to 30/40 a DAY. I usually have to pick off 3 or 4 a SEASON.

HTH and love and hugs to Jumble

Thanks all, it does sound as though the booster is the culprit so he won't be having anymore! Yantan, your points have rung a few bells, I do use carpet freshener and fly spray so those are going to be banned.

I don't use flea treatments as they just don't seem to get any, Jumba is really good at picking up ticks but I take those off with a tick hook. What about worming, I've always used Drontal but I'm wondering about that now!

Something else to be aware of is that a number of horse fly sprays contain permethrin or similar products which are known triggers for seizures in dogs so its good not to go near the dogs straight after spraying the horses as it does tend to linger on clothes (or that might just be me doing it wrong lol)

Just remembered that citronella is another suggested trigger so the same applies